Intercom buzzer not ringing

DXQ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi everyone,

my intercom buzzer isn't ringing no more. I can still open the door, but there's no ring tone! does anyone have a keen eye for such faults? I have to admit I have tried to rearrange the wiring (without success), so now it's probably even worse than it was to start with.

i am also wondering whether it might be the ringer unit that stopped functioning - is there a way to test that?

many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is that the buzzer on terminals 5 and 6?
I can only see one wire on there, is there an interconnection which isn't clear?

Is that the buzzer on terminals 5 and 6?
I can only see one wire on there, is there an interconnection which isn't clear?

Hi Spark123,
thanks for your response. Yes, the buzzer is on 5 & 6, and there is only the metal connector (which came from 3 via 4) on 5. is that no good?

You need two wires for there to be a circuit hence this is the reason for your buzzer not working. Is this the only handset on the system? Any chance at a peep at say your neighbours handset?

Sponsored Links
You need two wires for there to be a circuit hence this is the reason for your buzzer not working. Is this the only handset on the system? Any chance at a peep at say your neighbours handset?

It's a block of flats (8 flats), so there's 8 handsets. (is that what you mean?)

The problem with the neighbours' handsets is that theirs are probably working ok - on mine, the PRIVACY ON/OFF button is faulty, which is why I disconnected the wires going through the handset.

I am enclosing a photo of the previous setup.

So you have 3 cables - one for the handset which I take to be the brown cable with red/white/blue cores, one 6 core telephone type cable (white sheath) and another cable you labelled up as handset.
What are the 4 handset wires for (orange, black, blue, green)? Where does the privacy switch come into play? It looks like disconnecting these has disconnected the buzzer from the circuit. Can you see how they are connected at the other end?

So you have 3 cables - one for the handset which I take to be the brown cable with red/white/blue cores, one 6 core telephone type cable (white sheath) and another cable you labelled up as handset.

Yes, that's right

What are the 4 handset wires for (orange, black, blue, green)? Where does the privacy switch come into play? It looks like disconnecting these has disconnected the buzzer from the circuit. Can you see how they are connected at the other end?

The 4 handset wires are only for the Privacy On/Off button. The buzzer didn't ring anymore even with the handset wires still in place. So I assumed it was because of the broken privacy switch that the circuit was broken and tried to get the wires to work without the privacy switch, which I don't need anyway. I am adding a picture of the inside of the handset.

Thanks so much for your help.

Can you take a piccy of the last one again with a clear view of where the wires go to on the switch please :) .
Also, can you tell us what the LEDs (little red lights) do? Are they to indicate privacy has been operated?
I can't make it out very well, on the left of the switch as we look at the photo, is the middle pin connected to black? If so this means you will need to connect the white and green wire in the original pic to the right hand terminal on the buzzer (6). The white and orange wire will be a spare but will be connected to a supply at the other end so would be better if you put one of the screws back at the top left hand side and terminated it there. If you havent got the screws use a piece of terminal block.

Can you take a piccy of the last one again with a clear view of where the wires go to on the switch please :) .
Also, can you tell us what the LEDs (little red lights) do? Are they to indicate privacy has been operated?
I can't make it out very well, on the left of the switch as we look at the photo, is the middle pin connected to black? If so this means you will need to connect the white and green wire in the original pic to the right hand terminal on the buzzer (6). The white and orange wire will be a spare but will be connected to a supply at the other end so would be better if you put one of the screws back at the top left hand side and terminated it there. If you havent got the screws use a piece of terminal block.

You're the best! It works!
Thanks a million. You made my day.
:D

Hi I have the same issue and wondering if anyone can help. Tenants moved out and it's likely they disconnected the buzzer @sparkwright could you have a look and see if you could help us out?

The white green and green white were just joined together. I can still open the door and buzz people in but ringer doesn't work. Have tried connecting each of these wires separately and together to the other terminal on the buzzer, top left but still not working.
Mu39aJf1877MQTGV7
IMG_20190713_111841.jpg

Well it’s probably the white or the green to terminal 1 other side of buzzer ....wire both onto 1 get someone to hold your button in and feel the buzzer as they can sometimes stick/ fail , other issue will be wiring / switch in panel ( I would normally bypass the switch to find the issue

Thanks for the quick reply, turns out the white blue on screw 3 of the bottom section wasn't connecting properly so that combined with white green on the top screw seems to have done the trick

Appreciate the help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back