Videx Intercom installation - Handset problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I decided to replace my existing Videx intercom system with like for like.

Having installed the gate intercom system copying the wiring it powers up and and strange buzzer sounds when the button is pressed.

However the handset doesn't seem to respond when the intercom is pressed.

I'd like to think all the wiring is correct and I presume power is fed from the intercom through to the handset to make it ring.

Any thoughts what I might have done wrong? Are there any ways to easily test where a fault might be?

As I said it was a like for like replacement, I've copied all the wiring but the handset doesn't respond.

Any help grateful.

Sponsored Links
Just how much of the system did you change, handset, main unit, or both. And do you have the wiring connections from the old handset, and the new setup etc.

And what it the model of the ain unit, and the handsets.

Thanks Doggit,

I’ve replaced the handset and main intercom but not the transformer. I’ve copied the exact same wiring set up as before and I even had an engineer tone test the cables from the house outside. I’ve got power to the intercom outside and when you press the button it makes a darlek buzz. I’m guess the powered intercom somehow feeds through to the handset?

My only thoughts are that either I’ve wired it up wrong, the handset is faulty or somehow I’ve now got s break in the main wires between the house and the intercom. Original drawing attached and an image of the handset wiring. The wiring colours are different as I’ve had to extend the cable. Oh and picture of the old intercom wiring before I replaced it. Any thoughts on what tests I could try?

Attachments

• BBFA3B34-6AB1-4CBC-829A-000ACFD3DC5A.jpeg
    BBFA3B34-6AB1-4CBC-829A-000ACFD3DC5A.jpeg
    216.9 KB · Views: 4,418
  • 1B8AD6C4-FAC3-4AC4-A787-B5E197E8D1E8.png
    1B8AD6C4-FAC3-4AC4-A787-B5E197E8D1E8.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,379
  • 371BACBB-2CD4-46F6-A4B1-9595C14E73BE.jpeg
    371BACBB-2CD4-46F6-A4B1-9595C14E73BE.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 3,064
Post pictures of the replacement unit ( model ) , handset and wiring diagram

Sponsored Links
Sorry Farleigh, but the pictures aren't clear enough for me to see, and because of the change in colours, it's not difficult to check through. But in essence, 1-1, 2-2, 3-3, and 4 to P1 with the link between 1 and 5, so I think you just need to check that you've got it all correct. It's unlikely that anythings gone wrong with the wiring, but you can check continuity by just twisting a pair together at one end, and then checking the same two at the other end with a meter.

Mind if I poke my nose in?

Looking at pic 2, the middle one, I strongly suggest that you remake all the connections to there. They are all on the way to be fully corroded, then you will have problems.

When you have done that I strongly suggest you go around any and all outside connections you have to check and remake, if you find any they are going to be the same.

A problem waiting to happen.

Have fun, Xmas is happening and you don't want a problem on the 25th do you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back