Interesting 9/11 facts to feed the paranoid

Sponsored Links
Things like this, based on numerology, may seem a bit of harmless fun and no serious person would take them seriously (I think something similar exists about Kennedy and Lincoln), but maybe there are darker forces at work....

Consider the scenario where I'm at a dinner party and say something like 'Don't you think its a bit odd that the only three steel-framed buildings ever to fall down in a fire all did so on the same day at the same place, even one that didn't get hit by a plane' or 'Isn't it a bit odd that these buildings all imploded into their own footprint, which only ever happens in controlled explosions'.

Next up, someone say 'Yes, and did you know that Afghanistan has 11 letters' and everyone starts laughing at how silly it is to even slightly question the official line given to us by THE MAN. And that's that. Subject over.

Now who does that benefit ? Exactly, THE MAN. There is a whole department in the CIA dedicated to generating silly spoof-conspiracies to make it look like all conspiracies are silly.

And by cutting and pasting it you are working for THE MAN and helping him get away with it.

Of course I have no proof of this, but I just feel it in my water. Must go now and put my tin-foil hat back on now - I think he's turned the thought-reading satellite back on again......

Hmmm, interesting replies. Well, I am not going to defend the post istself as it was always intended to be put up as a joke - as the title alone should have implied.

However, I am going to defend myself against the personal attack by BAS (and thanks to those of you who already did too :)) This is NOT www.bas.com/whatIsayisgospel.php - therefore personal attacks by BAS are totally unwarranted as people are free to post what they want here (within the confines of the site Rules).

Although BAS may reply that he did not make a personal attack, I believe that this was personal - and surely it is how someone interprates a response that deems it personal or not?

securespark wrote:
Ban

Don't make it personal with Gary.

(BAS) I'm not - I'm just analysing the rubbish he posted

In my opinion, of someone is told that they have posted rubbish - it is PERSONAL :rolleyes:

As a point of discussion (and NOT aimed at any person) - undermining others is normally a sign of: fear (through lack of understanding, personal prejudices or lack of insight into oneself's own behaviours and how they have a reaction on others) or jealousy :LOL:

johnny_t said:
Things like this, based on numerology, may seem a bit of harmless fun and no serious person would take them seriously (I think something similar exists about Kennedy and Lincoln), but maybe there are darker forces at work....

Consider the scenario where I'm at a dinner party and say something like 'Don't you think its a bit odd that the only three steel-framed buildings ever to fall down in a fire all did so on the same day at the same place, even one that didn't get hit by a plane' or 'Isn't it a bit odd that these buildings all imploded into their own footprint, which only ever happens in controlled explosions'.

Next up, someone say 'Yes, and did you know that Afghanistan has 11 letters' and everyone starts laughing at how silly it is to even slightly question the official line given to us by THE MAN. And that's that. Subject over.

Now who does that benefit ? Exactly, THE MAN. There is a whole department in the CIA dedicated to generating silly spoof-conspiracies to make it look like all conspiracies are silly.

And by cutting and pasting it you are working for THE MAN and helping him get away with it.

Of course I have no proof of this, but I just feel it in my water. Must go now and put my tin-foil hat back on now - I think he's turned the thought-reading satellite back on again......

Make sure you're wearing your tin-foil undies this time, Johnny_t :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links
ban-all-sheds said:
I strongly disagree - it was lazy and incompetent of Gary to make that post.

FFS, Ban. You been having too much alcohol lately? Even you're not usually this aggressive.

Chill out.

Think BAs has had enough yet ?
I think most of us have had a dig now and there is not a lot point of going on :)

I'm afraid you're all missing the point.

No, I am not some humourless insecure old git. What I am is someone who sees the very real danger, and very real damage that is done by people forwarding on, without any thought, or any checking, or any critical analysis, lies and distortion that they have been sent.

The post above was not obviously humour, like the "10 reasons why it's great to be French", which despite it's grossly inaccurate stupidities is clearly a joke.

The "spooky number 11" post is not, in itself, of great import. But it does contain lies. And no, "lies" is not too strong a word. Deliberate falsehoods told in order to deceive.

Does it matter? Well, in the specific case of fabricating a flight number that when transliterated into a different font gets all spooky, no.

But the underlying principle is of vital importance. We live in a world where information, misinformation, rumours and lies can be spread literally around the world in literally a matter of minutes.

There are people who have damaged their PC setup because they got an email which said "ooh there's this terrible virus going round, and if you have this file on your hard drive you must delete it immediately". Well, guess what, the file was needed, and there was a virus - it was the email, relentlessly forwarded by people who didn't stop to think.

I mentioned the story about councils banning "Christmas lights". This is a situation which is supposed to have arisen in all sorts of places in the English speaking world; here, Australia, the USA...
Well, guess what? It's made up. But what it does is to help the racists and the fascists who want to dismiss all anti-racist, anti-fascist actions as "daft political correctness". But because the "story" is forwarded on by so many people who don't stop to think, lots of people come to believe that it is true.

There seems to be something mesmerising about email - stories which if told to you by a mate would have you say "are you sure?", or "I find that hard to believe" just get passed on as if they were gospel.

Securespark said "He's just posted something he found on the net or e-mail."

Well that is wrong, and it is insidiously dangerous. You only have to look back at what happened on the Paulsgrove estate a few years ago when what began as "Did you hear about the bloke at number 17? They say he's a paedophile" and ended up with a baying mob outside number 17 smashing up the house and burning the poor sods car.

I make no apologies for pointing out how obviously ridiculous the post was, and no apologies for saying exactly what I think about the sort of person who re-posts, or forwards as an email, material that they've not bothered to verify. It's a dangerous practice, and the people who do it are dangerous.

noodlz said:
Make sure you're wearing your tin-foil undies this time, Johnny_t :LOL: ;)

Most plans that I make for 'little johnny' usually end up getting foiled anyway :(

for what it is worth ....

the topic title might have been considered in 'bad taste' considering the timing of the actual real event. but, even in light of this, it was just a post and everyone is entitled to their view of it. you might not like it, but some folks are just not going to agree with you all the time. such is life....or diynot. to pick apart someones post and make it personal isnt right either. it's all in the interpretation. my link was intended to bring some levity to the subject....probably failed miserably, but ....so be it. i realize some subjects are intended to be serious, but lets face it.....it is a general discussion forum and as i was so 'eloquently' told....get a thick skin and carry on. i suggest others do the same ;) :rolleyes: :cool:

Well on that basis nobody should nobody ever criticise someone else for doing something dangerously wrong? Or then defend their actions, and try to explain why the original act was wrong?

PS - you're up early...

yes i was (up early)

so....scuse me for sayin HUH?

i mustve not read yer reply right.

no matter ;) :confused: :LOL:

ban-all-sheds said:
I'm afraid you're all missing the point.

No, I am not some humourless insecure old git. What I am is someone who sees the very real danger, and very real damage that is done by people forwarding on, without any thought, or any checking, or any critical analysis, lies and distortion that they have been sent.

The post above was not obviously humour, like the "10 reasons why it's great to be French", which despite it's grossly inaccurate stupidities is clearly a joke.

The "spooky number 11" post is not, in itself, of great import. But it does contain lies. And no, "lies" is not too strong a word. Deliberate falsehoods told in order to deceive.

Does it matter? Well, in the specific case of fabricating a flight number that when transliterated into a different font gets all spooky, no.

But the underlying principle is of vital importance. We live in a world where information, misinformation, rumours and lies can be spread literally around the world in literally a matter of minutes.

There are people who have damaged their PC setup because they got an email which said "ooh there's this terrible virus going round, and if you have this file on your hard drive you must delete it immediately". Well, guess what, the file was needed, and there was a virus - it was the email, relentlessly forwarded by people who didn't stop to think.

I mentioned the story about councils banning "Christmas lights". This is a situation which is supposed to have arisen in all sorts of places in the English speaking world; here, Australia, the USA...
Well, guess what? It's made up. But what it does is to help the racists and the fascists who want to dismiss all anti-racist, anti-fascist actions as "daft political correctness". But because the "story" is forwarded on by so many people who don't stop to think, lots of people come to believe that it is true.

There seems to be something mesmerising about email - stories which if told to you by a mate would have you say "are you sure?", or "I find that hard to believe" just get passed on as if they were gospel.

Securespark said "He's just posted something he found on the net or e-mail."

Well that is wrong, and it is insidiously dangerous. You only have to look back at what happened on the Paulsgrove estate a few years ago when what began as "Did you hear about the bloke at number 17? They say he's a paedophile" and ended up with a baying mob outside number 17 smashing up the house and burning the poor sods car.

I make no apologies for pointing out how obviously ridiculous the post was, and no apologies for saying exactly what I think about the sort of person who re-posts, or forwards as an email, material that they've not bothered to verify. It's a dangerous practice, and the people who do it are dangerous.

Hmmm, seem to be a lot of inconsistencies in what you are saying BAS. On one hand you are highlighting how 'rumours/mis-judgements' should never happen as they can lead to a person/s being targetted by others, and then you call me a 'dangerous' person. Is this not just rumour spreading based on a total lack of evidence and your inaccurate assumptions? Bearing this in mind, it has made everything you have written invalid as you have demonstrated that you are more than ready to make, and pass on judgements about a person (which would appear to be the exact thing that you were trying to argue should never happen) :rolleyes:

I would suggest that if you cannot enter into a discussion without hurling personal insults, then you should just ignore the topic in the first place and move onto one that you can contribute something valuable too.

Sponsored Links
Back