interesting photos of an old building and structural issue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Saw this building the other day. Its 100 years old, and currently only the ground floor is in use. Its seen a lot of change over the years.

The first odd thing that struck me was the toilet.
Photo0923.jpg

Yes, you have to lean to one side to have a slash. Or sit. And theres a ruddy towel dispenser there too!

The owners have the keys to upstairs, which they use for occasional storage.
Photo0940.jpg

The grey door under the air con leads upstairs.

Photo0926.jpg

The the top of the stairs. Note the destruction. The upstairs space clearly isnt meant to be used by anyone, but they have provided a single striplight in this one room, and an EM and fire sounder.

See the scar on the wall above the stairs - follow that round to the ceiling and you get to this:
Photo0927.jpg

Someone has removed a wall, and for some reason, cut across these 3 or 4 ceiling joists. The ceiling joists themselves span the width of the building but clearly arent meant for a full span. And by cutting across them, I suspect they have seriously weakened the roof. Is this correct? The ceiling is sagging badly on both sides of this hole. That artex is also present downstairs, and is labelled as containing asbestos. They've got a builder coming to survey this and establish whether its safe.

Most of the windows upstairs are boarded up, except the 3 that face onto the road (clearly for aesthetics, but nobody ever sees them as the road is pretty narrow - the side of the building (As shown above) is seen much more, and is much uglier!). The ironic thing is that someone at some point has tried to improve the upstairs - there is UPVC double glazing in all windows behind the boards. Upstairs has that old "museum smell"

Also upstairs but of little concern is a vast hall, which covers most of their shop floor:
Photo0935.jpg

Photo0932.jpg

Photo0934.jpg

I love old buildings like this, investigating their previous layouts / uses. But so much has happened to this place, its almost impossible to see!! Hope you enjoy the photos!

Sponsored Links
But so much has happened to this place, its almost impossible to see!! Hope you enjoy the photos!

Yes Steve I will. In fact I have ordered a new 27" monitor just so I can actually enjoy the buggers in full size! :mad:

"impossible to see"

Your resolution must be crap mate. Can see it perfectly on my laptop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back