Interesting stuff from old Ed's of the Regs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have my nose stuck in old Regs again. Just fascinated by how things have altered over the years: a bit like looking at an A-Z map of your area from the early 60's!

First one from the red OSG (not this Ed., but the last one!):

(Re TT supplies)

The recommended maximum value of the EFLI is 220 Ohms.

And this one from the 14th:

D24. A current-operated earth-leakage circuit breaker shall be used only where the product of its operating current in amperes and the earth-loop impedance in ohms does not exceed 40. Where such a circuit breaker is used, the consumer's earth terminal shall be connected to a suitable earth electrode.

Sponsored Links
i think i have read my copy of the 14th more in the last few months than i did when it was relevant.
like you secure i think of a new reg and think
what was required way back when

Yup!

I had forgotten that the max. loop for TT had been higher than the now-recommended 200 ohms.

Also, I never knew of the ELCB reg with regard to the figure 40. Limiting the product to this means a maximum EFLI of 1333 ohms.

Further, the next reg. says, "A voltage-operated ELCB is suitable for use where the ELI exceeds the values admissible for conformity with Reg. D.24.

I've found another interesting reg. here:

D16. In a room containing a fixed bath or shower, parts of a lampholder likely to be touched by a person replacing a lamp shall be constructed of, or shrouded in, insulating material and, for bayonet-type (B.22) lampholders, be fitted with a protective shield complying with B.S.52.

Note - The use of totally-enclosed lighting fittings is desirable in such circumstances.

Hence the HO skirt!

The other one is a table of max EFLI for EL protection by semi-enclosed fuses, or cartridge fuses with a fusing factor >1.5.

Current rating of fuse............Impedance

Note the figure for 100A. Same as the max Ze for TN-S systems.

14. Where indoor wires are put out of sight, as beneath flooring, they should be thoroughly protected from mechanical injury, and their position should be indicated.

Seem like only yesterday - circa 1st Edition 1883 :D

Sponsored Links
Does anyone know where previous editions of the regs can be found?
I started working with a local electrician when the 13th or 14th were the standard of the day and would be interested to read through some of the old regs.

i got mine for my 15th birthday from me da
i think he found it so i had to become a sparks
so it wouldnt be wasted

Assuming the 14th was in force when bought for you, you are between 43 & 58 years old!

I've got a copy of the 11th promised to me. 1939-1950.

Unfortunately the gu owho promised it me has recently been taken ill and has just had a triple heart bypass, poor bugger. Must have shaken hands with the national grid too many times, not that there was much of one when he started!

Look at you all down with the kids and that :LOL:

[Rap]I'm a spark and my name's Secure, I'm the best, not down in the sewer, I do a good job an' I do it right, use the best gear, not none o' that sh*te[/Rap]

;)

I remember designing a PME installation on a farm using single core Pyro, with the neutral/earth on the sheath (which was permitted by the 13th, I think, in 1965). Well, multicores too, but always one less core than you'd expect.

I thought at the time that some future electrician would be flummoxed by the wiring.

The company I worked for was NICEIC and it did, of course, get selected for inspection. Passed without fault I might add.

:LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back