Intergas thermostat options?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have an Intergas Combi Compact HRE 36/30 which was installed in about 2012/13. It has an outside temperature sensor (for weather compensation) and is connected by wire to a simple Drayton Digistat 7-day thermostat/timer. The stat is a bit rubbish. It often switches off before the desired temperature is reached (some sort of built-in eco nonsense). I want something better.

The boiler supports OpenTherm so I believe something better than on/off is possible. Intergas have a fancy system on their site which mentions smartphone apps and boiler diagnostics. Interesting. But will it work with my boiler? Their site is unclear.

What stats/timers are recommended?

Any pointers welcome.

Cheers,
Richard.

Sponsored Links
Aww... So there is no possibility of the diagnostic stuff, either? I quite liked the sound of that, as a nice addition to the stat.

I shall look at the Honeywell web site. Thanks both.

Sponsored Links
Put it this way.... It is not worth the cost. The boilers are too sodding reliable to make the cost of the kit worth the hassle.

I install a lot of these things.... And have been installing the boiler since 2004. I started in the industry in 1999. Since the move to Intergas, our break down work has more or less been solely for new customers with wooshitter Botch and Faillant crap and those unfortunate enough to have had Potterton and Ideal boilers fitted by us before "the awakening".

If you have an HRE series boiler just find a local rgi that has fitted a couple to look after the annual service.

Fair enough. I must admit that it has given me little bother. It is mainly the techie in me that fancies looking at the data. Maybe I will investigate my own RS232 link at some point in the future.

I am trying to weigh up the two Honeywell devices. Not really into the phone app nonsense (will they stop working one day etc) but it would be handy to set the programmer via my tablet, as those fiddly little screens are usually terrible. Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for the pointers, Dan.

Interestingly, the t4m had slightly more advanced OpenTherm implementation than the Lyric. But does look more utalitarian.

Lyric however comes with a suite of addons to compete with Nest.

Intergas has IDS over RS232, But the data will be largely meaningless to a homeowner with a single boiler to worry about.

I use a Remeha isense RF (wireless model) with my Combi Compact; It works great with the external sensor, and was practically plug and play, although I did need an old phone charger to get the 5v required for the reciever.
As I recall, there are more advanced settings available (heating curves etc) if you want to play.
There are a few non-wireless versions on Ebay at the moment..

Hmm. It was tough to choose between the Honeywell options, and now there's the Remeha on eBay for £40. Aarrgghh! I am keen on something simple, so it is probably that or the T4M.

Thanks chaps.

Thread revival! Hope it's OK.

Just to ask if anything has moved on since the above discussion ... in particular re. controlling the time and room temperature whilst using a new Xclusive combi (which is envisaged but not actually installed as we speak). To be fitted by a Gas Safe installer.

I rang Honeywell for some guidance but the lady on the help desk wasn't in the UK and we didn't have a great conversation. I wanted to gain a bit of insight into Opentherm - I'm not conversant with it.

I gather (maybe wrongly) that the Honeywell T4M (wired) is Opentherm compatible but hasn't been widely available at several suppliers for six months for technical reasons so guess the T4R wireless programmable thermostat model is equally OK.

One of the other items that the Intergas shop mentioned when I called them was the CM927.... but they said the choice is mine.

I see there's also a Honeywell 700 series. Not to mention about three million other products.

I really just want a simple approach to controlling the on/off times and the room temperature of the Xclusive (or possibly the ECO RF if that offered some advantage) ... and gather that Opentherm is a good thing to have (but I seem to have managed all this time without it so maybe I'm worrying too much?)

I feel happy with Honeywell as a make but am more than happy to take advice.

Thanks.

I generally spec a Honeywell T6 with Intergas, but if you really really don't want an Internet-connected thermostat then the Salus RT520RF is a very well-priced, easy to use OpenTherm stat. OpenTherm is definitely worth having - it means your radiators are never any hotter than they need to be to maintain the set room temperature. If you're having the Xclusive you pretty much need an OT stat anyway as it doesn't play nicely with 230v controls

Ah right ... ta.

The fella at the Intergas shop did happen to mention Salus as I now recall. I think I didn't take too much notice as I've seen Salus being "dissed" on here by (some of) your fellow pro forum members (I think Dan was one if I recall correctly).

I will most definitely look at the one you mention.

Are we saying the T4 range (be it wired or wireless) has dropped out of favour? I really don't fancy the added complication of the T6 if I could possibly help it.

Your final sentence is something I woudn't have known. And whilst the bloke who will probably fit it is Gas Safe, and has been on the Intergas half day course, he admits to not being over familar with Opentherm principles or practice.

Further thanks .... much appreciated.

EDIT. Using your example (the Salus) do we need anything else to go with it (a receiver unit or suchlike?) or does it come with everything required to operate as a programmable stat and will do the heating on and off plus room temps?

EDIT It looks to me as though it comes with a receiver ... so that probably answers the above.

Last edited:
Richard at The Intergas Shop has done quite a lot of testing and data logging with the Salus, and declared it to be a good quality product. That's good enough for me. Salus have had a dodgy reputation in the past, but seem to be coming on leaps and bounds, and now carry an industry-leading 5 year warranty.

The Salus does come with a receiver so that is all you need. I fitted one with an Xclusive a couple of weeks ago and was very happy with it.

I'm sure your installer will soon get on board with OpenTherm once he realises how simple it is to fit

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
That's good to hear re. the Salus - ta.
By the sound of it I don't need to confine my thoughts to something like the T4R Honeywell - and I guess the bonus would be it's half the price .

Thank you, Andrew.

I've got an Intergas Xclusive combi boiler and nest smart thermostat. They're connected via opentherm and seem to work well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back