Interior door stuck. Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. I'm hoping that you can help me avoid needing to call a chippy. I have a glass paned interior door stuck and it's so far resisting my attempts to open it.

It's got a lever handle and both sides go down as they should when you press it down, it just doesn't seem to be engaging the latch. I've tried taking the handle and faceplate off and turning the internal spindley thing with pliers but it's not made any difference. The door sits inside a fairly hefty architrave so I can't get a credit card or something similar in there to push the latch in. Also the house is rented and I'm not really that handy so I'm keen to avoid anything that might involve butchering the architrave. Can anyone please help?!

Sponsored Links
This is the door and frame.

Attachments

• DSC_2818.JPG
    DSC_2818.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 125
If the house is rented and there is a problem then speak to the landlord. I'd be most annoyed if my tenants started smashing the place around to fix a door if i hadn't been given the oppourtunity to fix it first.

Sponsored Links
I've absolutely no intention of smashing the place around! I was just wondering if anyone knew something about these types of door handles that I didn't (highly likely) or had a tip about getting it open that I hadn't considered (also highly likely!).

This door leads to my downstairs bathroom and central heating thingy. I can't get in to turn the immersion heater off on my water. Could be days before the lettings agents get someone around to fix it and I'm twitching at the money that I'm burning keeping my water at scalding temperature :)

Could be days before the lettings agents get someone around to fix it and I'm twitching at the money that I'm burning keeping my water at scalding temperature
Just tell them to do it asap because otherwise you will have to claim money off the landlord to cover the the additional expense of needlessly running the boiler. I had a similar situation recently, architrave had to come off. Turned out my 2 year had yanked the handle so hard it had ripped the mechanism apart.

I am parent to three year old twins. It's quite likely that your scenario is what has happened here too :/ I'll get on to the lettings agents, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back