Interior insulation layer - will it cause damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I plan to use an upstairs room as an office. I want to put book shelves against the entire, window free, north wall of the room. It's a cavity wall, but I'm not sure if it's foam filled*.

I was thinking of getting extra insulation by putting aluminised bubble foil between the bookcases and the wall. It's not going to be expensive, or visible, or difficult.

However, if this cools the wall down, will there be a problem with condensation forming between the wall and the foam?

Thanks for suggestions.

*Not yet moved in - the outside wall is tile covered and sometimes the insulators won't go through tiles for their foaming.

Sponsored Links
This shouldn't cause a condensation issue, but I don't think anything would be gained by putting bubble insulation here. The books would provide their insulation I think! However, pull some books out from time to time to see if they have a musty smell.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back