Intermediate switching - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help, i am wanting to a wire a loft light using the single gang switch on the staircase and replace it with a two gang, however the switch is wired as an intermediate switch, but there is only one other switch on the circuit and that is downstairs to operate the landing light from downsatirs. Firstly can anyone tell me if I can re-wire the intermediate switch to a normal two way and if so what to connect were.

The house was fully re-wired in 2004 and there is definately only two switches on that circuit so I cannot understand why it has been wired as an intermediate.

Many thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links
"Wired as an intermediate" or is an intermediate? I dont quite see what you are getting at.

An intermediate switch could be wired as a 2 way, but not vice versa. Photos please! :)

ianhutchinson, the switch can nor be wired as intermediate, since you also said

ianhutchinson said:
......but there is only one other switch on the circuit and that is downstairs to operate the landing light from downsatirs.

but that aside the answer is no.

have a look in the wiki or sticky to see how it is done

Sponsored Links
Anyways you dont want a lightswitch for a light that you cannot normally see is on. Put a lightswitch inside the loft hatch or use a switch with a neon.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back