Intermittent cold downstairs rads

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4 yr old gas boiler, 4yr old old hot water tank and NEW pump (replaced it as first attempt to solve problem). All rads have rad stats on them and there is no overall thermostat.

Intermittently, the downstairs rads stop working. The boiler thinks everything is hot as it just ticks over. Switching off the upstairs rads does not work. Draining the hot water tank does not work. I only get water out when I bleed the rads. The feeder pipes are sometimes hot, sometimes cold. The only thing which solves the problem is switching the heating off for a while and then back on again.

I can hear air in the system and I'm sure it's an airlock and/or sludge. The system was de-sludged a couple of year ago, so I would be surprised if it needs doing again.

My question is - do you agree about the airlock theory and if so, how can I clear it? Although I am useless in the DIY department, I do have a handy pair of hands available!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back