Intermittent RCD trip from shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 3 bar Stuart Turner shower pump has been installed for 6 years with no problems. 6 weeks ago it tripped the whole house RCD in mid shower and did this for the next four showers. I disconnected the pump and took it to Stuart Turner. For £45 they examined and tested it. No fault found. I re-installed it, connected to a different circuit via an isolated fused spur and it was OK for five days. Now it is doing exactly the same thing and trips after about 3 mins of running. Any suggestions?

I have just turned off the boiler before using the shower and it seemed OK. Can the boiler firing up cause the shower RCD to trip?

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/shower-pump-intermitently-tripping-rcd.390060/#ixzz2qZd5XaL9

Sponsored Links
Does it happen when the boiler fires up for heating, if not then it is unlikely to be your problem. Did they tell you what tests they did & under what conditions?

Does it happen when the boiler fires up for heating, if not then it is unlikely to be your problem. Did they tell you what tests they did & under what conditions?

Yes, it happens when the boiler fires up. The pump is a Stuart Turner and it went back to Stuart Turner in Henley for testing but they didn't tell me what they tested. Just that no fault was found after they had kept it for two weeks.

It does sound as though you have a problem with the boiler then rather than the pump, sounds like it's time for a heating engineer rather than an electrician, or you could try a post in the plumbing & heating section. If you do, give more details about the make & model of the boiler.

Sponsored Links
Get someone with a earth leakage clamp meter to find what is tripping Rcd, also test Rcd to see what its tripping current is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back