Internal Blockwork - PVA Or Just Dampen It Down?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Hi,
Have removed 90 year old plaster off internal blockwork which is stable and in sound condition. Now I intend to batten out and basecoat it with browning before topcoating with multifinish (thought browing more suitable than bonding). Basically, I'm confused as to whether the blockwork has to be primed first with PVA 5:1 or simply dampened down before plastering? I don't see the need for PVAing when the surface has good key with it being course, but obviously the surface is a bit dusty from where old plaster has been on it. Sorry if it sounds like a dumb question, but it's my first time basecoating plaster and don't want to have it all fall off!

Sponsored Links
What kind of block work? Lightweight or dense? Myself i wouldent use bonding or browning if its dense concrete u can go staight on with hardwall of its lightweight wet it down till it don't suck

EDIT: Just measured one, each one is 900mm x 300mm x 60mm so they're quite thin really.

Well they are very easy to drill through (just used my cordless) and are very porous so I would assume that they are light weight. So, would you reckon browning will be suitable? If so, do I just wet the wall before throwing it on or would you 5:1 PVA it?

BTW, the wall is very uneven so I've had to pack out my battens at the botom of the wall and now have a 10mm gap + 12mm thickness of battens so is it best to do them in two stages say do 10mm wait to go off and then apply another 10 mm to bring up to level of the battens? The rest of the wall is ok.
btw thanks for your reply!

Sponsored Links
I would use hardwall damp the wall down to kill suction a long pile paint roller dipped into bucket of water is good for this then yes you can do wall In 2 hits if you want

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back