Internal Blower Smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI. Im having trouble trying to track a burning smell coming from my internal blower. It smells like plastic/paper burning. It comes and goes. Sometimes i wont smell it for days. Then i get an eye watering smell. Then it goes again. I have had the blower looked at by a sparkie who said it's fine. I have checked the resistor pack and that is clean as a whistle. I have changed the pollen filter and removed all signs of leaves and stuff. By the way, it doesn't matter wether the fan is on cold, hot. There is no signs of smoke either. The car is a Rover 416Sli 1.6 auto 98 plate. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Check the heavy leads that feed the power in, does it have a connector, does it look as though its been getting hot? Do you notice it more on a particular setting?

Peter

The connector and leads going into it look perfect. The resistor mount looks goot too. And it seems to happen on every setting. But not when the a/c is on.

I wonder if the smell is actually eminating from somewhere else and is being drawn in by the fan.

Peter

Sponsored Links
The air ducts for the blower are just below the wiper spindles so i thought it might be drawing the smell up from the engine. But i ruled that out because the smell can come when the engine is cold and i checked under the bonnet once when i had the smell and couldnt see or smell anything out of the ordinary.

If its an acrid smell I would suspect its something electrical. Very strange. How long does it last?

Peter

Once it starts i turn the blower off because at times it stings my eyes. Not sure how long it lasts. sometimes a few minutes. Is there anything else electrical i can test in that area? Maybe the a/c?

The only high current part of the aircon is in the engine compartment. The only thing I can suggest is that you connect a voltmeter to the 12v supply, from the cigar lighter would do, and monitor the voltage. With the engine running you should have a bit over 14 volts, check the reading when the smell occurs, if it drops say to below 14v something is loading up the supply which could account for the burning smell. You may also see a reduction in the panel light brightness.

Peter

I'm wondering if this is actually a coolant smell, from the heater matrix being drawn inside the car.....
John :)

it could very well be ethylene glycol 'mist' which is causing the stinging eyes and smell. Probably a weeping heater core, and the leak is being turned into a mist and sprayed through the vents into the car by the fan.

Coolant is an irritant and is a poison as well. I knwo someone who was seriosuly ill after ingesting less than 50ml of neat coolant. Obviously theres no risk of that in this situation if it is coolant.....but get it checked out before any potential leak gets worse and wets the inside of the car.

Sponsored Links
Back