New Light Smelling - Why?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted a new light at the weekend, it is a B & Q Deka Energy Saving 4 Fold Bar Spotlight but there is an odd smell coming from it. I am struggling to place the smell, my best description is that is an almost antiseptic/hospital like smell, sounds odd I know.

I have had a look on the internet but the smells discussed seem to either be burning or a fish smell. I was a bit worried that the wiring was burning but I have taken it down and all connections are tight and there is no sign of burning. I have replaced a fair few light fittings before with no problems, although I must admit I lost track of the switched live when fitting this one, but identified it again using a multimeter. It also seems to smell when it is off as well, and just for good measure I turned the power off to the downstairs lights ring when I went to work, came home in the evening and it had still left a smell!

So after pondering what else could be the problem I took the bulbs out, there were supplied with the light so really they should be correct. This seems to be where the problem is coming from, if I sniff the plastic towards the end where the contacts are contacts it smells quite strongly of this "antiseptic", more strongly if it has been on recently. It has 4 * GU10 Energy saving bulbs, they look like they have a fluorescent tube inside, like the normal energy saving bulbs you get.

Don't know if it matters but I should also say that it was a fluorescent tube light (not sure if that is the right name but the long horizontal to ceiling tube type light), that I replaced.

What is causing this? Is it a fault and should I worry about it? If it is nothing to worry about will the smell "burn off" from the bulbs with use and go away?

Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Some new products may give off a smell when new. If it persists for more than a couple of days then change them and get your money back if you are sure it is the lamps. Same applies to the light.

I have something similar in the kitchen its just a 3 spotlight unit with low energy bulbs similar to yours and the bulbs used to stink like that when it was new and two of the bulbs expired quite early on. As of now (i think i installed it in 2007/8) one of the original bulbs is still working, the other two are replacements

Thanks, I will give it to the weekend and see what happens.

Also I have just seen mention of "notifiable" work. Never heard of this before, the light is in a kitchen but as it is a replacement for the previous light in exactly the same place using exactly the same wires is it notifiable or is it "like for like".

The previous light was a fluorescent tube (the long, horizontal to ceiling type)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back