Internal doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've never hung a door before but our existing fitted doors are 2010mm x 823 but the closest I can find are 2040 x 826, now 826 shaved down 3mm to 823 no problem i would've thought but i'm worried about removing the 30mm(15mm top & 15mm bottom) to get it down from 2040 to 2010 as I was looking at Pressed Hardboard & don't know if i'd be taking to much off.

Cheers
Ken

Sponsored Links
Fire rated?

Note :You can remove 4mm from each side of the door and 9mm from bottom, you are unable to remove any from the top of the door.

Think you might come unstuck with that much your predicting.

If you need to remove more, then you can carefully prise the hardboard off the bottom timber, cut or pull the two staples out at each side, remove the timber, cut the door to size and then glue the timber back in and screw it at each end

And if that is a certified fire door, doing the above breaks the guarantee.

Sponsored Links
Fire rated?

Note :You can remove 4mm from each side of the door and 9mm from bottom, you are unable to remove any from the top of the door.

Think you might come unstuck with that much your predicting.

whilst i would agree the top is not normally the place you would trim all the excess from the length
in general the top will be similar to the sides for material removal also 1/3 2/3 top and bottom for maximum 18mm from the length unless otherwise stated
you should never remove more than 4mm from any surface unless the manufacturer specifies more or you have the information or experience to know what will work or wont work

Cheers everyone I feel a lot more confident about doing this now :( :LOL:

So would I be better with knotted pine doors then as I presume they would be solid top and bottom :confused:

whilst i would agree the top is not normally the place you would trim all the excess from the length
in general the top will be similar to the sides for material removal also 1/3 2/3 top and bottom for maximum 18mm from the length unless otherwise stated
you should never remove more than 4mm from any surface unless the manufacturer specifies more or you have the information or experience to know what will work or wont work

I agree, unless its a certified fire door. (FD20/30)

And if that is a certified fire door, doing the above breaks the guarantee.

And if its a patio door the OP will break the glass

I think he would have mentioned fire door if relevant

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back