internal reducers... err?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I needed to convert some 28mm copper pipe to 15mm copper. So I went to B&Q (ban sheds etc, I know) and got an internal reducer, as I couldn't find a normal 28x15 comp fitting.

Anyone ideas how to use an internal reducer? I think it's beyond me :/

Sponsored Links
It depends what you mean by internal reducer - is it the compression type or the soldered type?

In which case the reducing set fits inside a 28mm compression socket (discard 28mm olive) and you insert 15mm tube. Obviously you need a 28mm fitting as well as the reducing set.

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the quick responses, btw ;)

That's the only conclusion I could come to. I got rid of the olive, and tried sticking the reducer inside a 28x28x28 tee, but i couldn't get the compression nut back on. Is it maybe only meant for use on a straight connector?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ach b*****r this internal reducer. What a silly device. I just don't think the nut is big enough on this tee fitting.

Cheers for your help chrisshut

Can't be right. You use the original fitting's nut.
Discard 28 olive. Insert long bit of fr narrow end first, into fitting. Insert short fit of f r into nut, narrow end first. Put the 15mm olive tween the two and screw nut on just to hold it together. Insert 15mm pipe, straightening the olive as you go

Cheers for being so specific - but your description doesn't quite match the item I've got. As far as I can see there is only one part to this reducer (which sounds like the two parts you described, but in one.)

It works fine inside a straight 28x28 - I'm doing exactly what you're saying, apart from the fact there is nowhere to put a 15mm olive, and the two parts are together, and it holds. The problem arises when I put it in a 28x28x28 tee, because the bit inside the fitting, that stops the reducer from falling in, perches the reducer too high for the original compression nut to catch the thread.

TBH, I'm going to go to PTS and see if they stock 28x15x18 tees - I couldn't get a hold of one originally and decided to give this internal reducer a shot.

Thanks for the tutorial ;)

It's sometimes simpler and even cheaper to do these things in stages - 28mm to 22mm, then 22mm to 15mm. You're much more likely to find these fittings in stock.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back