Internal Render Dilemma!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to re-plaster a wall in a second floor bedroom which has suffered from damp caused by leaking internal valley gutters. The gutters have been renewed and the old plaster has been hacked off. The walls are stone construction and the outside is has a sand cement render. I've been advised that sand cement coat should be applied to the internal wall, but I'm a bit concerned that if there is ever a problem with the gutter in the future the water will be trapped in the stone between two layers of render and rot it. Any ideas for alternatives or comments would be gratefully received.

Thanks Jim

Sponsored Links
Try the plastering forum for a definite answer ;)

The problem with stone as you have touched on is allowing the water to escape, as it wont evaprate through waterproof renders. But the cement renders impart some strength to old walls. Perhaps its best to keep the render as suggested but ensure the wall never gets wet (not sure if that is possible though!).

Sponsored Links
Why not leave the walls bare for the foreseeable future, to allow them/it to dry and to be certain that the above guttering has been properly replaced.

Be certain that the outside render is in good condition - get up a ladder.

If all works out then i would render inside with 6:1:1 of sand, lime and cement. Skim with board finish.
Some dont like lime to be used nowadays - your choice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back