Internal secure door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know of a good internal door that has a multiple locking system?

I want to "isolate" the kitchen from the rest of the house without having to put security grills on the kitchen windows.

I was thinking of a fire door but even these only seem to have one locking point. Is it a case of me installing two extra lock on th door?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the door open INTO the kitchen? If so, and you use a fire door with a good thick stop on the other side, it will be fairly difficult for a casual intruder to shoulder it in. You might want to add hinge bolts or security hinges so it will take him longer to winkle the door out on the hinge side

A BS lock in the centre, with a mortice (rack) bolt near the top and one near the bottom, will add to the time it takes to get through.

If you want, you can fit a BS mortice sashlock 1/3 up from the bottom, and a matching deadlock 1/3 down from the top. You can get them suited to the same key for your convenience and to make it more likely that people will sometimes bother to lock them.

Lots of excellent locks are useless because people don't bother to lock them.

You can buy multipoint locks for wooden doors but of course they are expensive. Chubb make a "London Line" range and Banham and Ingersoll have offerings IIRC. You will want them professionally installed at extra cost.

Be aware that once someone is inside your house, he can work in comfort and out of sight on the internal doors, If you are kind enough to provide him with housebreaking tools such as a garden spade, he can lever open a door fairly soon.

If you have a good monitored intruder alarm, he might go away before rifling the entire house. If you are lucky police might attend within 20 minutes or so. Otherwise you will have both a burglary and a damaged door to deal with.

The aim of household security is sadly not to make your home impregnable, but to make it slow and tiresome enough that the bad guy will be lazy enough to go and burgle someone else.

If he knows you have a collection of krugerrands he will probably be motivated to break through whatever security you have fitted, unless someone comes and stops him.

Thanks for the reply.

So I could buy a good sold firedoor and have more locks installed on it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back