Internal stud wall. MDF as alternative to plasterboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, first time posting here!

I'm in the process of designing the staircase for our loft conversion and have been inspired by work done in a hotel we recently stayed at (The Dart Bridge Inn in at Buckfastleigh if that helps!).

They seemed to have clad walls with a smooth surface board (MDF I'm assuming) with battens/mouldings covering the joints and equally spaced battens in the centres for uniformity of the pattern, then coated with a satin finish paint. We thought looked really nice and would like to replicate in our build.

I'm happy with constructing the stud wall & staircase, but what I was wondering that if it is acceptable for building regulations to clad a new stud wall directly with MDF boards or if I need to use plasterboard then clad with the MDF on top for fire regulations (the other side of the stud wall will be plasterboard & plastered).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Rob

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard then your mdf. Are you referring to the mdf fake tongue 'n' groove cladding that you can get off the shelf?

why do you need to bother with plasterboard?

std plasterboard isnt fire retardant anyway.

Plasterboard then your mdf. Are you referring to the mdf fake tongue 'n' groove cladding that you can get off the shelf?

Hi Deluks, thanks for that.

I was thinking it had to be plasterboard both sides then the MDF sheet on top, just hoping we might be able to save on time & cost!

I'm not looking at the fake T&G, it's really expensive! What i'm planning is whole sheets of smooth MDF with rectangle mouldings over the joints and in the centres to match the pattern.

Sponsored Links

xr4x4, thanks for that,

Thinking about it, i can't see that it matters if you use plasterboard, MDF, Plyboard, (asbestos!) or any other sort of cladding really?

I'm confused now, does anyone else have an idea?

Yes it is, class 1; & it's certainly more fire resistant then MDF :rolleyes:

Why on earth do you want to use MDF, it’s total crap? Plasterboard will meet the fire regs you needs to comply with & a skim coat done by a decent spread will look as good as anything you’ve seen at the “Dart Bridge Inn”; I’d dumbfounded if it was MDF :confused:

You don't say if this wall needs to achieve any fire resistance or not

Yes it is, class 1; & it's certainly more fire resistant then MDF :rolleyes:

If is important to remember that the class ratings are for surface spread of flame, not actual fire resistance of the material

Plasterboard only works in terms of spread of flame spread when coated with skim plaster. And it only works in terms of fire resistance when plastered, and joints and perimeter sealed

Bare plasterboard can fail just as soon as MDF in a fire situation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back