Internal walls - plaster honeycomb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone can please identify the type of internal walls which I appear to have in my new home as I have never come across these before! They appear in the internal walls upstairs. I'm not certain whether they are all like this as I've only taken one down so far.

The walls are composed entirely of plaster (not plasterboard), made up of a front face and a rear face of plaster and in-between these is a honeycomb of large plaster hexagons. This type of wall appears to be modular as it's made by butting 'units' together to form a complete wall, so I'm assuming they were lifted into place?

Unfortunately I didn't get a photo of them before smashing them out, but one picture I managed to locate on Google shows what they look like. Unfortunately they didn't seem to be identified.

I'm wanting to add a doorway in the middle of this type of wall and I'm uncertain whether it can be done, or whether the whole wall will need removing and replacing with stud work? If anyone can advise I would be grateful.
cheers,
Lee

Attachments

• Honeycomb1.jpg
    Honeycomb1.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 365
  • Honeycomb2.jpg
    Honeycomb2.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 248
Sponsored Links
Not worth messing with .i’d pull it down and build a stud wall.

Thanks for your reply. I'm tempted to pull down but can't tell if it'll be structural? Strangely, I've just drilled a test hole in one of the external walls and this stuff is also lining those walls too! It must be two coats of bricks and an internal layer of this plaster hexagon stuff! Going to make it tough to hang a wall mounted toilet from that! :(

AKA Paramount.

You would need to hollow out the partition and fit a 2x2 floor to ceiling , but you will struggle to get a door lining to look acceptable in such a narrow partition.

Sponsored Links
Hi woody. Thanks for the reply. I had read about paramount boarding, but the stuff I have is made entirely of plaster and doesn't have the cardboard filling the centre like paramount boards. I've never seen this stuff before in my life!

Ah think I may have found out what it's called - Bellrock Board / Bellrock Plaster.

Has anyone heard of this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220110-153141_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220110-153141_Chrome.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 138
Thanks for your reply. I'm tempted to pull down but can't tell if it'll be structural? Strangely, I've just drilled a test hole in one of the external walls and this stuff is also lining those walls too! It must be two coats of bricks and an internal layer of this plaster hexagon stuff! Going to make it tough to hang a wall mounted toilet from that! :(
could well be structural given the glass fibres in it. Where in the country are you? i’ve not seen this before.

could well be structural given the glass fibres in it. Where in the country are you? i’ve not seen this before.

Hi I'm in Sheffield. The only references I've found to this material are for properties constructed by a Glasgow-based building firm, so not sure why it's cropping up down in Yorkshire!
I think I'll need to get a structural engineer in you tell me whether I can remove these walls or not. I'm hoping I can just knock them down and replace with a stud wall.

By that logic, a bowl of Kellogg's All-Bran is full of fibre, so why aren't foundations made of this? o_O
Try a bowl . maybe it’ll direct all your sh!t to the correct orifice(y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back