Internet Explorer 8

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried to load IE8 twice now & each time have experienced freezing & then BSD's pretty soon after; PC unusable on line & had to use system restore both times. PC is up to spec, anyone else had/having problems :?:

Sponsored Links
I've been using IE8 for a while with no issues, perhaps you have other software installed thats conflicting?

Download Firefox and see if that works. If it does we'll see if we can sort out IE8.

I've actually had Firefox loaded for some time; I use it occasionally but not as my main browser.

Sponsored Links
I've tried to load IE8 twice now

Richard,

Do you mean 'download', 'install' or do you have it installed and it will not open?

If it will not download, open you present IE browser -> Tools -> Windows Updates.

Select 'Custom' when the download window opens.

After it scans your computer look at all the updates to see what they are for, click the + sign to read what they do, and any that are about IE tick the box to download and install them. Once installed, reboot the PC even if they do not ask for it.

Then try a new download from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx
Save it to your desktop, and then install it from there.

dave

Do you mean 'download', 'install' or do you have it installed and it will not open?

Download & install; on reboot it confirms successful install & all seems OK but when I open & use the browser it's very slow for a minute or so & then freezes with a BSD pretty soon after; Windows crash report & advice centre then comes back with the helpful suggestion that I download IE8! :confused:

If it will not download, open you present IE browser -> Tools -> Windows Updates.
Select 'Custom' when the download window opens.
After it scans your computer look at all the updates to see what they are for, click the + sign to read what they do, and any that are about IE tick the box to download and install them. Once installed, reboot the PC even if they do not ask for it.

I usually keep the OS fairly up to date but will have a look for latest critical updates; unfortunately Microsoft no longer allow me to access to automatic updates (I’ll leave you to work out why ;) ); this is why I also have Firefox loaded as I get my critical updates, albeit a few days later than the MS site, through Windiz.

Then try a new download from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/default.aspx
Save it to your desktop, and then install it from there.
Dave
Will give that a try & report back.

Thanks for the input guys; other suggestions most welcome. ;)

Richard,
As you have it installed, (sort of), uninstall it first from the Add/ Remove section in your Control Panel.
Removing it that way reverts your computer back to the previous version that you had, automatically.
Once uninstalled, reboot and then try a fresh download from the link above.

dave

"System Restore" process had already removed IE8 but I tried download/save/install & all seems to be OK over the last hour or so. I don’t really see what difference download/save/install makes against download/install from site but I’ve enough experience to know that sometimes nothing makes a lot of sense with software :rolleyes:

Perhaps there is something else going on here but only time will tell & thanks again to all who showed interest :LOL: .

The 'download and save' option is best because if you select 'run' from the download option and you get an interuption in the download, it doesn't always stream to catch up and you end up with a corrupt installation.

If you 'save to desktop' and get a break in the download which corrupts it, it will let you know when you click to install it, so you just cancel the install and geta fesh download.

Hope it is sorted now.

One word, don't use system restore to uninstall software , it is better to either use it's own uninstaller or best of all Revo Uninstaller
In the final clean up only delete entries in bold type

dave

Yes I can follow that, I don’t normally have download/install probs. but maybe it’s due to ever increasing demands & my download speed here in the sticks; all good info. Had a look at the “Revo Uninstaller”, free as well so will give it a try; all still running OK so thanks again. ;)

Sponsored Links
Back