INTERNET

Allenm said:
You seem to forgetting the original question!! ;)
And you seem to be forgetting that things change, and whilst it may be one PC on one place today, what happens when there are 2-3-4-more PCs wanting to share files? What happens when there is an audio/video library? What happens when there are multiple printers with different characteristics (mono laser workhorse, general purpose colour inkjet, high quality photographic)?

I agree with most of your comments, except that the Pre-N standard is compliant with the 802.11g standard (and 802.11b for that matter), so the idea of being left with kit that is non-compliant is wrong.
That's disingenuous - it's the 802.11n standard that gives you the high speeds - what you're effectively saying is "don't worry if your kit ends up non-compliant with the standard that supports the speeds that were the reason you bought it, as you will always be able to use it at the older and slower speeds".

Also, yes cat5 supports gigabit (and probably alot higher!), however I seriously doubt that the PCs employing this LAN will be able to use anything like that speed!
I think 10/100/1000 cards and on-board ports are quite common these days...

Sponsored Links
cat 5 standard does not meet the requirements for GbEthernet, although most cable probably will in practise. Category 5E cable, on the other hand, does.

10/100/1000 cards may be common, but the underlying technology cannot support that kind of speed, the speed is set to the physical layer of the 7-layer stack, the PC has the other 6 layers to process!!

My point was (as is), that wireless is not rubbish, not unreliable and more than sufficient for the future requirements. Remember that the original post was for internet connection in a shed!!!!!!

But, you have more time to postulate than I, so go for it. Last word over to you!

Enjoy!
Merv

with the right software (windows filesharing always seems realitively slow in my experiance i've never really figured out why) and good quality cards standard PCs can max out 100 megabit ethernet. Wireless doesn't even come close to that (about half that in the ideal case often much less).

i tried wireless (i paid about £100 for the kit maybe i should have spent a bit more) and i found whilst it was fine for browsing the web it caused big problems for anything that held a connection open for long periods. I also had issues with vmware and wireless And this was with the PC and access point in the same room, elsewhere in the house it was much worse. I've never had such problems with wired ethernet even when using cards that cost less than a tenner.

Sponsored Links
Allenm said:
thomasjeans said:
I need intenet acess in my new garden office which i am building.

You seem to forgetting the original question!! ;)

he said he needed internet acces in his shed/office space the fact he talked about spare ports on his router and a spare adsl modem implies at least to me that he had an existing computer in the house. I'm pretty sure you can't have two dsl modems active on the same line at the same time though i admit i don't know anyone who has tried it.

cat5 certainly seems the way to go to me if reliability is desired. I wouldn't trust wireless for something as important as a link to a home office

Yes, it will do the job, but is overkill. Look in your local paper for a local place that supply computers and components and ask for a length of cat5 cable the size you need with a RJ45 connector at each end.

If later you decide you need more connections in the shed, just install a small HUB (less than a tenner),

Cheers
Merv

Cat5 (e) is the best way to go. I would install at least 2 points and you can use the other very easily for a phone with some very cheap adaptors.

http://network-cabling.co.uk/store/product_info.php?cPath=27_70&products_id=144

Absolutely no need for seperate phone cable. Cat5e is just a super-douper version of phone cable.

It's not rocket science installing Cat5. You just need a 99p BT punch-down tool, a wiring chart to put the correct colours in the correct place and to be considerate with the cabling run (put it in conduit and don't put sharp bends in it).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back