Intriguing HRW problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only lines 3&4 of my HRW are working (Corsa D 57 plate) and I can see no visual damage. I would really appreciate any help in trouble-shooting this odd problem. The fact some lines are working would seem to indicate it's not the fuse or the relay?

Continuity tests (looking at the car from behind):
- all the lines are continuous from left to right across the glass.
- all the left hand edges of the lines are continuous with the left hand terminal (+12v).
- all except the bottom line (line 1) are continuous with the RH (earth) terminal (could this explain the symptoms??).

Voltage tests:
- at the LHS lines 1,3,4 & 14 have 12+v, all rest have ~0.27v
- at the RHS line 1 has 12+v, lines 3,4&14 have ~0.7v, rest have ~0.24v

At the edges of the glass the conductive paint lines disappear under a broad band of some kind of lacqer so I am unable to look for, or test for, breaks in circuit. But then again, being under the lacquer and protected by a rubber seal there should not be any damage? Am I right in thinking that all the horizontal lines are joined by vertical lines at each edge under the lacquer?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
if your sure the horizontal lines have no breaks then you must have a problem on the vertical link lines, it only takes a light scratch with something to damage them.
I would try to expose the area where the wires are connected and examine there, they are wired so that damage to a horizontal line allows the rest to work

From memory all lines are in parallel, so you should have 12 volts dropping across each one.

Hope this helps

But if its not obvious you will need a screen

Sponsored Links
Back