Inundated with scam callers today

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I;ve been inundated today with scam callers on my mobile number (6 so far), plus as many more blocked on my landline. I don't usually get many at all, what's changed? If you ring the numbers back, you find they have spoofed a valid number - chemists, butchers, health centres etc..

Sponsored Links
why do people answer their phones to unknown numbers that is what answer machines are for their systems recognise an answer machine kicking in and terminate the call

Have you made a purchase/subscription online recently? Online purchases often ask for a phone number and I would not be surprised if they passed your number on. I occasionally provide a discontinued number depending on the website used.

Sponsored Links
Have you made a purchase/subscription online recently? Online purchases often ask for a phone number and I would not be surprised if they passed your number on. I occasionally provide a discontinued number depending on the website used.

No, nothing like that.

I got a call yesterday from a Gretna number. It was somebody with an Indian sounding accent talking gobbledegook. I didn't understand what he was trying to say, something about phone service? I just said "no thank you" and put the phone down. I had similar a few months ago with an oriental sounding woman claiming to be from EE and offering me a better deal. As I am currently with EE I initially fell for it but then she repeatedly told me a message would come through to my phone, with a link I need to click on, but it never worked. She kept trying it again and there were pauses, like she was trying to keep me on the line. The whole thing seemed a bit strange, so I put the phone down on that one as well and she then repeatedly tried to call back. Also one with a random area code.

Never hand over your card details and avoid sharing any other information about yourself.

If they sound overly foreign I won't deal with them. Too risky, and annoying. I noticed today when making some calls about motor insurance that it was very reassuring to have a British or Irish person at the other end to give clear and intelligible answers, plus some good humour thrown in for rapport. I needed clarification on matters where the online details were lacking - very important in this situation. To my surprise, one of the biggest providers had a foreign sounding woman who didn't sound very sure at all when I asked questions. Eg. "Am I covered for xyz with this policy?" ... "aahm [pregnant pause] ... yezzz." Exact same answer for several other questions. Very off putting, and I have chosen a different provider despite them costing a bit more.

I’ve been pestered by British Gas (my electricity supplier) at the workshop. I have a pre pay meter that unknown to me, a tenant had fitted back in 2009 (I think he ran up a debt with them) and I’ve just got used to it. They say that I am due for a smart meter. I’ve ignored them so far. Today I noticed the display had disappeared so I phoned them up and they said they would send someone tomorrow. I said I didn’t want a smart meter, they said no problem, they'd either replace it or repair it. I booked the appointment. So far I’ve had a text, an email and on my online account they have me booked down for a smart meter tomorrow! CBA arguing with them as I’m either going to rent the place out or sell it so it won’t make any difference to me and I suppose it will be more convenient for me instead of queuing up in the post office with a load of coughing, sneezing, er, locals. Of course I had the obligatory text asking for 'feedback' on the phone service I received. 0,0,0 and 0 they got.

This says IOS 13 and later, there is an 'unkown caller' blocking switch. I'm on IOS 15/8.2 yet this switch is not there - anyone?

[EDIT] Found it...

'Phone' does not appear in settings at all, it only showed when I searched for it in settings..

Last edited:
This says IOS 13 and later, there is an 'unkown caller' blocking switch. I'm on IOS 15/8.2 yet this switch is not there - anyone?

I have it on mine. IOS 17.4.1

IMG_1443.jpeg

I don’t use it though as calls from my GP or the hospital come up as 'number withheld’ and I might miss them. Any numbers I don’t recognise, I just let ring out - if it’s a genuine caller they will leave a message. If they don't, I add that number to my list of blocked numbers.

I’ve been pestered by British Gas (my electricity supplier) at the workshop. I have a pre pay meter that unknown to me, a tenant had fitted back in 2009 (I think he ran up a debt with them) and I’ve just got used to it. They say that I am due for a smart meter. I’ve ignored them so far. Today I noticed the display had disappeared so I phoned them up and they said they would send someone tomorrow. I said I didn’t want a smart meter, they said no problem, they'd either replace it or repair it. I booked the appointment. So far I’ve had a text, an email and on my online account they have me booked down for a smart meter tomorrow! CBA arguing with them as I’m either going to rent the place out or sell it so it won’t make any difference to me and I suppose it will be more convenient for me instead of queuing up in the post office with a load of coughing, sneezing, er, locals. Of course I had the obligatory text asking for 'feedback' on the phone service I received. 0,0,0 and 0 they got.
standard sized caramac coloured meter they can just change the battery . smaller brick size white coloured meter then they will change meter

standard sized caramac coloured meter they can just change the battery . smaller brick size white coloured meter then they will change meter
This one. Is 2009 old for a meter? I thought they would run on their own electricity.

IMG_1437.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Back