Invisible fixing for 9mm MDF sheet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon,

I need to fix some MDF matchboard to a timber frame in a bathroom I'm refurbishing.

I'd like to fix the matchboard to the frame invisibly and I was originally thinking of using keku or button-fix fixings, but the MDF is too thin to screw into.

I'd like it to be demountable, so the only alternative I can think of is to use velcro stuck to the MDF with some additional adhesive.

That, or glue a thin batten to the back of the board and then screw into that?

Can anyone think of anything any better?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thanks Nigel, definitely an option. Just wanted to make sure I'm not missing the obvious solution!

or opposing bevelled timber strips if you get my meaning whereby one hangs over the other essentially you take a single piece of timber and rip it down the centre of the wide face all along the length at 45 degrees fit one length to the frame and one to the board probably glued and clamped repeat at the bottom and then when you want to remove just lift it off.
Plenty of self adhesive Velcro should probably do the trick though.

Sponsored Links
If there is enough room above the mdf then the type of fastening that uses a keyhole type bracket or hook might do?

Either a screw in the wall and a plate on the mdf or a hook type thing on the wall and a matching fitting on the mdf. They use the sytem in front of public toilets to hide the pipework /cistern

If the mdf is too thin use gripfill or no more nails to glue a batten on the back

My bath panel uses a 2x1 frame with a centre pair of horizontal rails- just enough to slip another bit of 2x1 inbetween. The panel then has a bit of 2x1 fitted to it and it slots into the frame

You can get squares sheets of self adhesive magnet, like fridge magnets are made from , cover the entire board?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back