IP4X?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
when knockouts have been removed from the top of a CU and cables are going through them and a slight gap is left which doesn't meet IP4X do you have to plug up the gap with something? the CU in question is quite high up and is not readily accessible.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
412-03-02

The reg is pretty clear; it's up to you how you determine what is 'readily accessible'.

I have read the reg, the top of the CU is not reachable unless your a 7 foot basketball player.
If it was readily accessible then what would have to be done in order to close the gaps to meet IP4X?

Sponsored Links
I would feed them into the back but its a bit late now the knockouts are knocked out. :cry:

I think i'll go with the fact that is is not readily accessible and be done with it.

Thanks.

I like the idea of silicone wht is it naughty?

Could anyone say that if it is not readily accessible and does not meet IP4X then it complies with the regs?

I use to use silicone allot when worked on agricultural installations as it was water proof and worked well sealing up switch, sockets, encloshers, lights etc.

Although my college teachers and fellow students never approved. I always keep it in the van for the same use, just incase.

woko27 said:
I like the idea of silicone wht is it naughty?

Could anyone say that if it is not readily accessible and does not meet IP4X then it complies with the regs?

If you are talking about a 20mm knockout with 1 cable going through it, assuming you have used an open grommet I would not worry about the gap. You will just make a mess of the job using silicon. You could use some sealing putty or MI compound if it makes you feel better. You could also use a piece of slotted plywood to cover the holes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back