IR Test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On insulation resistance testing i have noticed most of my various books i have make reference to just testing the insulation as a whole, how would you transfer this over to the schedules though? as they have specific boxes for each individual circuits value?

Sponsored Links
as long as its greater than 2 megaohms, then each circuit can be filled in as "> [reading]Mohms" not sure what you'd do if it was between 0.5 and 2 tho... I'd personally test the circuits separaratly if that happened, actually I'd probably be testing them separatly anyway

I insert a brace (One of these - } ]covering the whole lot, then write across the individual boxes, "IR batch tested: LN=xxx, LE=xxx, NE=xxx"

Does the trick.

(Mind you, as Adam says, I usually end up testing them separately anyway; it's amazing how troublesome that hidden TV booster can be.)

Sponsored Links
I always do my first IR test on the 250V setting. This will show if there is still something connected to the circuit, hopefully without destroying it :eek:. If all is clear then go for the 500V setting, if not investigate further.

I use a fluke (T)? 600 which goes to 1kohm on the continuity, so if that is OL I can safely assume nothing connected. Remote doorbells are just as much of a problem!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back