Iron on veneers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there any significant reason why iron-on veneers should not be used instead of traditionally glued veneers?

I need some for a fire surround and other furniture

Sponsored Links
You can generally only buy iron on wood veneer edging strips that are pre glued.

It is possible to buy "glue film" which is like a thin polythene sheet that goes between the substrate and veneer. It works best with a heated press or in small areas if using a domestic iron, on large surfaces you just can't get the heat into it by hand.

If the fire surround is for a working fire I would be worried about the heat affecting the glue bond.

You can by "flexi veneer" which is edge jointed and laid on a paper backing, this can be fixed with contact adhesive if you don't have a press, but you need a nice even layer of adhesive.

I use a vacuum press and traditional veneer stuck with Titebond II

Jason

Thanks

A quick google threw up some suppliers of iron-on veneer in 10" x 98" sheets/rolls, and I thought that this might be better for the novice.

I also thought that maybe the heat from a fire would not be as hot or concentrated as that from a hot iron, so the glue would not be affected

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back