Iron svp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine wants me to refit there bathroom by removing a none load bearing wall. When this comes down it will leave a cast iron svp slap in the middle of the wall going up into the loft. Can this be cut off at a lower level about 2ft from floor height instead of being up in the loft and fit a air admittance valve then box it in to create a usable shelf?

Sponsored Links
If the current arrangement is allowing the stack to vent to atmosphere I would be very cautious about changing it. Fitting an AAV is fine, but it wont release any positive pressure in the system, which if it occurs, will be looking for alternative exits... You may then be getting complaints about smells in the new bathroom! :eek:

any aav needs to be300mm above highest overspill level - so if connected to basin then 300mm higher than basin rim. If only WC pan then 300mm above pan rim

The svp will have bath at low level, then wc and basin at about 2ft from floor. So 1 ft up from that would be acceptable for a aav?

Sponsored Links
2' is a very low basin rim!

300mm above the rim (top edge) of the basin

Sorry meant 2' to the waste connection, i understand i need 300 mm above the rim which would be the highest overfill point.

If i cut the existing svp down to a height 300 above flood level Is there a special fitting required to join the iron svp to an aav?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back