is a micropoint fitting self sealing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I spoke to a corgi engineer this morning to ask him to come out and disconnect my cooker. He advised that i would probably be a bayonet fitting and so i could disconnect it myself, and call him after i have the new kitchen units in to fix in the new hob.

But after researching on this site i think i have a micropoint connector. Are these self sealing? can i disconnect it myself?

Sponsored Links
The connection or disconnection of a self-sealing bayonet fitting (inc. Micropoint) is specifically excluded from the definition of gas work, so is not subject to the restrictions that generally apply (need to be competent, etc.). You have been advised correctly. Actually disconnecting the Micropoint is a bit tricky, but you can't cause it to leak gas (unless you start bashing it with a hammer or something).

ok, thanks for the advice.

one other stupid question.... i have read to test for leaks using wahing up liquid and water, being paranoid about blowing up my house, i would like to check when i have removed the hose that there is no leak. What ratio of fairy liquid to water should i use?

you should not use washing up liquid at all

if in doubt call a corgi guy

Sponsored Links
If you can't smell gas then don't worry about it. Bayonet connectors are designed for use by the householder and do not require any sort of leak testing after disconnection.

chrishutt said:
If you can't smell gas then don't worry about it. Bayonet connectors are designed for use by the householder and do not require any sort of leak testing after disconnection.

you the man chris

I took it that he could

well i suppose it has passed the ultimate test. my house is still here this morning. ;)

thanks for all your help.

Slightly off topic but are these micropoint hoses/bayonets suitable for connecting hobs? Just moved into new house, had boiler and hob checked and engineer said the flex to the hob has to be replaced with a rigid pipe/connection. Oven is seperate and electric.
Appreciate any advice.

bluepeter said:
Slightly off topic but are these micropoint hoses/bayonets suitable for connecting hobs? Just moved into new house, had boiler and hob checked and engineer said the flex to the hob has to be replaced with a rigid pipe/connection. Oven is seperate and electric.
Appreciate any advice.

not always check MI although its probably easier with copper IMHO as built-in ovens take up most of the housing including depth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back