Is a re-wire needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am currently buying a small 2 bed house built 1980 - has one ring main, consumer box is the olde fuse type
Would I need to get the place re-wired or is this ok to run with?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
At change of occupancy it is recommended that a Periodic Inspection Report (PIR) is carried out by an electrician. This will highlight any remedial work which is required.
A new CU will probably be one of the items recommended on the report.

Deffo get the PIR done now, its money well spent.

if you get it done now your solicitor may get the price of the work needing doing, as highlighted in the PIR (eg new consumer unit.PEBs..etc) knocked off the price of the house.

or you could do what many people do and move in start decorating then worry about it when something goes wrong (and have to take off the nice new wall paper to make things safe).

Helsen, the wiring is about 28 years old, so a PIR would not go amiss

Now a days we tend to install 2 or 3 rings in ahouse upstairs, down stairs and the kitchen.

A full PIR will tell you the condition of your property electrically, highlight any 'issues' and you could use this to negotiate.

At 28 years a re-wire might not go a miss, but this decision would be yours (or possibly the mortgage companies.

If it is of any use I carryout alot of work in the Leeds area and would happily carryout a PIR if you wish, look at my profile for my e-mail

Sponsored Links
Now is the perfect time to rewire.

You will not have yet personalised the house to how you want it, so you will not be bothered about an electrician having to damage the decorations.

You will also have different needs / requirements for where you want socket outlets and lights etc.

You will almost certainly find there is not enought sockets in the house. Think back to 1980, and how many electronic gadgets you would have needed to plug in, and compare it with todays 'needs'. computer, printer, cordless phone, broadband router, sky+, DVD player, surround sound amp, mobile phone charger(s), microwave, anyway you get the idea.

Also rewiring gives you the peice of mind that everything is safe, done right and in accordance with the very latest regulations.

This should then last for many many years to come.

I've changed CU's on installations older than that, and had a perfect set of readings. Generally, installations with PVC cabling only need rewiring if the number of have-a-go bodges put it beyond economic salvage, and often sensible when a full refurb is being undertaken.

Again, my vote is with the PIR.

Consider whether you may want an electric oven / hob in the future, is the cabling there for it?

Same with showers, many old installations will not have sufficiently sized cabling installed for modern powerful showers.

Obviously you have to weigh the cost of a rewire against how long you are going to stay in your home, but with the current climate its probably the best thing you can do.

Now a days we tend to install 2 or 3 rings in ahouse upstairs, down stairs and the kitchen.
its been done this way the last 30 odd years that i can remember

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back