Is all waste pipe solvent weld?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've managed to nick a waste pipe taking up the floor in a bathroom. I was going to use pushfit to plumb in the bath waste but where it's been nicked it's going to be a lot easier to cut it fully through and use a slimmer solvent weld fitting to extend the pipe and then use the pushfit for the easy to work areas.

What I need to know is are all plastic waste pipes "solvent weldable?" or is it only specific solvent weld pipe (I know the pipe I've nicked is solvent weldable as it has solvent weld beyond the nick, but I will need to buy new pipe to complete the job and this will obviously have to solvent weld to the nicked piece and then take pushfit...

I'm sure that the answer must be that pipe is pipe is pipe... but best check with people who know!

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid it isn't....genuine solvent weld pipe is acrylic based and therefore needs the appropriate cement....other stuff is polyethylene based and not compatible.
Neither are the pipe diameters unfortunately, so use a plastic compression fitting to connect with the solvent weld stuff.
Pushfit plastic drainage is very good, but not all manufacturers products are compatible with competitors stuff either!
John :)

The problem is that I cant get a compression fitting into the gap where the pipe is nicked... is it possible to get something which just extends the pipe so solvent on one side and clean pipe on the other, then I can put a compression fitting on that?

Sponsored Links
I guess I could just put this over the existing pipe and seal the nick (we are taking a saw blade wide and 10mm long to be honest I was considering cutting the socket from a solvent weld fitting and sliding it over the pipe with some solvent over the nicked bit is that a bodge?

If the nick is clean, dry and roughened up with some abrasive paper, there's no reason why the job shouldn't be fine - so long as the correct cement is used. This cement actually dissolves the parent material to some degree, bonding as one piece - plastic welding, more or less.
Acrylic cement isn't particularly good at gap filling so if you're adding a patch, make sure its a good fit.
Personally I'd give it a go, and keep an eye on things for a while afterwards.

It could be just what you need....worth getting one and experimenting, anyway.
Good luck with it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back