Solvent weld or Push Fit Waste Pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to use some 32mm Waste pipe not for a plumbing job but for a hobby project.

I do not need to join any of it together so I am not bothered about Pushfit or solvent weld.

All i want to know is what is the stonger of the two?
and are they the same thickness?

I am hoping its the Pushfit as its a lot cheaper!

Sponsored Links
depends what you mean by stronger, if you hit solvent with a hammer it shatters, push fit wont, what is the risk, are you sure solvent is more expensive than push fit?

What I mean by stronger is which one would be able to with stand more weight ?
It's an interesting question which, should anyone on here actually know the precise answer to, I would strongly urge that person to seek medical help ;) :LOL: :LOL:

PS op - just because it's thicker doesn't mean its stronger!

Sponsored Links
Perhaps you'd share with us what you are trying to make?
Solvent weld, being acrylic based, will deflect less when loaded, and will then shatter. Poly pipe (pushfit) will deflect much more before it kinks or tears as it collapses.
John :)

I am thinking of making a trolley for my kayak, the pipe will go vertically through the scupper holes and may also need a horizontal 50cm length to take the weight (about 50kg).

Do you intent this to be a moving trolley or a static storage one?
I would have thought that a 50kg load was quite a lot on a moving trolley unless it was heavily braced.
Wouldn't a lightweight aluminium structure be better?

Well, you could use absolutely any material you like to build your structure, providing the design is right and there's sufficient material used.
So, if you were going to use plastic waste I'm sure a ladder frame structure, with plenty of tees and horizontal members would be ok...however - a dynamic load is much more prone to stresses than a static one, and I don't know how that could be reliably tested, especially if the structure is going to be moved by a vehicle.
Also, push fit bends can easily come apart whereas solvent ones won't - but they can fracture.
Personally I'd consider using a thin walled mild steel tube for this - either round or square - and be beckoning for the MIG welder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back