Is conservation area status retrospective?

Thanks guys, yes it would seem quite unreasonable to ask somebody to pull down a structure that is under construction when the rules change.

I'll play it safe though and will start construction in the next week or so. If nothing else its given me the motivation to stop dragging my heels and get the conversion done!

Sponsored Links
Hi guys, thanks for all the help so far.

Basically my loft conversion is well under way and should be 'finished' in the next 4 weeks, so no problems there.

In terms of the Conservation area status the consultation process finished on Friday and I've been told that there is an Area 2 committee meeting on 11 th Nov. At this meeting it will be recommended that my area does become a CA.

There are then other administrative processes that need to take place for the CA status to be formally in place. The period of time this will take can only be guesstimated, they reckon early next year but could be sooner.

So here is the problem.

I've been told by my LA that in full PP granted prior to CA status stands, however anything done under PD (even with COL) must be completed construction prior to CA status or will be illegal.

One week ago I submitted an application for a COL for an outbuilding. By the time the application is processed there may not then be enough time to build prior to CA being signed off.

So what if I start building in a few weeks time (prior to COL) and the CA status is suddenly signed off and I haven't completed the build?

How can I possibly time things if the LA themselves can't tell me the exact date that CA will be signed off?

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back