Is it legal to have a gas water heater over the bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm an electrician doing a house inspection and just wanted to advise the client. I'm pretty sure the heater doesn't have an electrical supply to it (its a corvec britony II)

There is also a shower hose over the bath so water likely to spray onto the heater. I can't find any 'waterproof' ( or IP) ratings on the installation instructions I found on-line...

Any advice from Gas Safe peeps would be much appreciated

SB

Sponsored Links
pretty sure this would be deemed as an "at risk" being as it has electrics at 240v being within the spray of the shower this would definetly constitute a risk to life. not sure exactly what reg it would be under without reference but definate no no :eek:

thanks for replies.

It has no electrical supply so it's OK - just seems very odd to me! It's pretty low hung and damn ugly!

Cheers guys

SB

Sponsored Links
Been fitted over baths for over a hundred years. Big risk now is open flued appliances being used while the bath is occupied. Big no no.

FP.
Would have to be old to be open flued multipoint , not made them for around 40 years

thanks again - it looks a bit newer than 40 years old (unlike me!)

SB
:)

Gotta hope all that water vapour from the bath underneath has not rotted out the casing/flue etc. Then it might just turn into an 'open-flued' appliance......

DH

How would steam rot the flue which is built into the wall and is designed to take the products of combustion which is mainly water vapour.?.
Also the britony case has a good protective coating

I have seen rotting casings on many appliances thank you, (I am sure you have too?) The cause may of course not always be water vapour, joints inside/outside the casing, rain driven through the flue etc (flux used carelessly even...)

My comment was intended to trigger a thought process amongst readers - obviously I picked the wrong guy. None taken I hope.

DH

FP.
Would have to be old to be open flued multipoint , not made them for around 40 years

Now then yungun, are you cast nasturtiums? I have recentlybtaken out an ascot from over the bath. They are still around.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back