Is it ok to use copper pipes with stainless cylinder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a vented direct (immersion only no boiler) hot water system. Old pipes are all 22mm copper. Now need to replace the cylinder.
I am wondering about the material compatibility of the old copper pipes with new stainless cylinder? Can I just put in the stainless cylinder as a direct replacement and keep all the old pipes? Will there be a corrosion problem where the dissimilar metals meet?
(I'm in a soft water area if that makes a difference)

Sponsored Links
As far as I know you should be fine - but you need a special immersion heater compatible with stainless. I have a stainless cylinder running off the gas boiler with the immersion plugged waiting for a new ( expensive) immersion

Some manufacturers use dielectric connections that effectively 'disconnects' the stainless from the joining materials. The other option is using brass to make the connection as it is 'closer' to stainless and minimises galvanic reactions.

That being said, it's not something that is pointed out really when it comes to installation.

Some manufacturers use dielectric connections that effectively 'disconnects' the stainless from the joining materials. The other option is using brass to make the connection as it is 'closer' to stainless and minimises galvanic reactions.

I don't actually know how a boiler is plumbed internally. So, it made me wonder, how do they get around this with boilers with stainless steel heat exchangers?

Sponsored Links
Follow up question.
The Gledhill Stainless Cylinder is listed as 900mm high x 450mm diameter but does not say if this diameter is just the cylinder or both cylinder and insulation.
The old cylinder measures 900mm high x 550mm diameter including insulation. (Can't measure the actual diameter of the old cylinder due to insulation)

Are these sizes compatible? (or compatible enough?)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back