BS1566 Cylinder sizes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an old vented direct hot water cylinder.
Old clyinder measures 900mm high 550mm diameter (including insulation). Can't measure the actual cylinder due to the insulation. Feed tapping is 150mm off floor.
The new cylinder is "Gledhill Replacyl Stainless Steel Vented Cylinder 900mm x 450mm - Direct Connection".

First question: Is the catalogue size of the new cylinder including insulation or without?

If the catalogue dims are excluding the insulation then the cylinders will be very close.
If not, diameters are 100mm off. 50mm between the centre and the side so pipes would need to be adjusted 25mm each.

Second question: I think 25mm adjustment on existing copper pipes is doable without damaging anything, any feedback?

Sponsored Links
1 without

2 Depends, but it's been a pleasant rarity for me when I've changed a cylinder without any pipework modification.

3 You can guage the depth of foam insulation by pushing a screwdriver in until it meets metal.

And it's unwise to assume that the gate valve on the cylinder feed will shut off the water 100%

Last edited:
2 Depends, but it's been a pleasant rarity for me when I've changed a cylinder without any pipework modification.

The catalogue does not state the height of the cold water feed tapping, just that it is to BS1566. Does anyone know if it is 100mm or 150mm type on these cylinders? (I have seen both heights on cylinders that claim to conform to BS1566)

Sponsored Links
And it's unwise to assume that the gate valve on the cylinder feed will shut off the water 100%
As far as I can tell the gate on the feed does nothing, just spins and spins. Had to drain everything down to remove old leaky cylinder. Capped off feed pipe now so I can at least fill the kettle and flush the toilet! No chance of a shower till the new cylinder arrives tho.

It is possible to have cylinders made to your exact specification usually a 3 day turn round.
We have done this on a number of occasions the additional cost is normally less than doing extensive pipework modifications.
We use Newark cylinders but that's mainly because we are close enough to collect.

1 without

3 You can guage the depth of foam insulation by pushing a screwdriver in until it meets metal.

1 agree
2 agree
3 agree
And I can almost guarantee the gate will pass, get you some rubber bungs and replace the gates

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back