Is it okay drying clothes in small space with window open?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it okay to dry clothes in a small confined space with window open or will it still cause damp/condensation?

Attachments

• 20230328_071110.jpg
    20230328_071110.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 60
Sponsored Links
Yes, it's a bathroom. It gets full of moisture daily. It's more to do with the time of the year, ventilation/insulation and ambient temperatures.

You could dry clothes indoors in the middle of the summer, in any room - no dramas. Do the same thing in the dead of winter on a freezing day however...

As long as there's ventilation, I can’t see it being a problem. Is This any good for you?

Do you mean health wise or practicality wise? We just got a new shed and are waiting to get electricity out there. Health wise I don't know. Curiosity got the better of me so this is why I asked

Sponsored Links
You need at least two windows, at opposite ends of the room. You'll still get damp and mould with one window open.

If you're also heating the room then it will be expensive.

A heat pump tumble dryer is the best option in the winter.

If you have a gap under your bathroom door, this is absolutely fine.

We dry our walking boots and jackets in the bathroom. Rather than have the fan running, we open the window and shut the door. I can feel the suction of air under the door as the moisture is pulled from the room. Don't get a spec of mould in there, and the room is 50% external solid brick.

If you're passively ventilating then you have no control over whether the air blows in or out of the door. The damp air is as likely to be blowing into the rest of the house as it is to blow out of the window.

Either way, you will be continually losing heat.

It's much more efficient to keep the house warm and dry and pay 20p a load to tumble dry it, safely pumping all the condensed water down the drain instead of dispersing it all over the house.

Is it okay to dry clothes in a small confined space with window open or will it still cause damp/condensation?
I found a standard desktop fan fantastic for drying clothes indoors on an airer.

They consume hardly any electricity but create a lot of air movement and the clothes dry way quicker. What slows clothes drying is the water vapour releases from the clothing but creates a higher MC locally slowing the rate of drying.

back In Jan Feb I used it in our small bedroom used as an office, I had the window open, fan on and door shut. There was a bit of condensation on the glass but no mould.

Dehumidifier is a good idea for drying clothes too.

Dehumidifier is a great idea.

Honestly though, if your house is ventilated (as it should be), then there is no danger in drying clothes in a bathroom with a window open. We do it when I've washed down the walking gear, and relatives also do the same. The vast majority over the water is sucked out the window or sent up the open air vent -- very little heavy air is going to be forced down and under a gap under the door.

We have a shed that I'll convert to a drying room over the summer.
It has ventilation natural and fan.
Also have a heat pump tumble dryer that will create heat.

Should work :rolleyes:

If you're passively ventilating then you have no control over whether the air blows in or out of the door. The damp air is as likely to be blowing into the rest of the house as it is to blow out of the window.

Agreed. Back in the days when I used to smoke in customers' homes whilst painting, I would open a sliding sash window and some days I needed to blow the smoke out of the upper part and not the lower part because the lower part would blow back in. Depending on temperature/wind etc, the next day, I might need to use the gap at the bottom of the window.

In houses that only had a single top/outward opening sash, I soon learned that the left or right side of the opening would be either air in, or air out. By that I mean that same opening simultantaneous

With regards to heat pump driers in a shed, I thought that they weren't recommended for cold areas.

If you're going to start mucking about with fans, heating, ventilation and dehumidifiers then you're just making a really inefficient and expensive tumble dryer, in which you and your home are getting damp inside the drum together with the washing.

We used to muck about with all this rubbish, then we got a heat pump dryer and it's a revelation.

Agreed. Back in the days when I used to smoke in customers' homes whilst painting, I would open a sliding sash window and some days I needed to blow the smoke out of the upper part and not the lower part because the lower part would blow back in. Depending on temperature/wind etc, the next day, I might need to use the gap at the bottom of the window.

In houses that only had a single top/outward opening sash, I soon learned that the left or right side of the opening would be either air in, or air out. By that I mean that same opening simultantaneous

With regards to heat pump driers in a shed, I thought that they weren't recommended for cold areas.

F in hope not my Heat pump is in a shed and that's where its staying.

Sponsored Links
Back