Is It Possible Replacement Keys For Existing Mortice Lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Chaps,

Just a quick question:
Keys for my backdoor became lost so I ended up having to pick it to get it open. Thing is, is it possible to get replacement keys for it rather than replace the whole lock? It's a 3 lever 65mm mortice lock by the way. It's not that I'm being tight by not replacing the lock, but it's just that I wouldn't know what to do with it and I hate throwing things away on the tip so replacement keys would be ideal. How would I go a about doing this please or does anyone have any other suggestions?
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
3 lever locks offer only basic security (most insurers won't allow them) and therefore the number of keys to fit are hardly infinite - so pop the lock along to the nearest friendly locksmith and I'm sure they'll try some keys from stock for you.
John :)

Generally three lever locks have 100 different keys. So it is very easy to either change the lever pack or read the levers and provide new keys.
BUT this is the reason insurance companies specify a minimum of five levers. The three lever is ideal for an internal door to keep a five year old out but not a determined burglar.
Best advice go to your local locksmith and purchase a new mortice lock to the british standard 3621 it will be stronger more robust and you will sleep easy at night.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Additionally you'd probably pay just as much for 2 or 3 new keys as you would for a complete new 3 lever lock but with the 3 lever not meeting (probably) your insurance companies stipulations then now would be the time to stick a 5 lever BS3621 in

Sponsored Links
Yeah, having thought thought about it, I think getting a 5 lever would be the best option too. As long as I can get the same size as the other one because if it doesn't quite fit, it's going to involve messing about and I hate changing locks! So i suppose I need to look for a 65mm for it to fit properly to match the other to avoid chiselling. Could someone recommend a good lock which is 5 lever and 65mm meeting BS3621 requirements?

Is this one ok:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-LEVER-M...s-Effect-FREE-NEXT-DAY-DELIVERY-/140808977565

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
What is the size and make of the one you now wish to replace?
Is it a conventional mortice or a sash lock (one with a handle) ?
Maybe a picture would be helpful.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

Left to right of case: 65mm
Top to bottom of case: 98mm
Left to centre of spindle: About 45mm
Left to centre of keyhole: About 45mm
Width: 13mm

Top to bottom of plate: 155mm
Left to right of plate: 24mm

No make (figures as was a cheapo ) :mrgreen:

The best advice is to go for a branded make.
You will not go far wrong with the Union 3K74E (Chubb has been rebranded as Union). The E stands for extended throw. The latest version of BS 3621 calls for a 20mm throw for the bolt.
You will need to open the slot in your door slightly to allow the new lock to fit in and the bolt receiver side is a lot more substantial and needs to be let into the frame.
But this is not a difficult job you should be able to do it yourself. Make sure your chisels are sharp and take your time.
DC
Teamlocksmiths

I have had a look on ebay and Banham are selling the older 3K74 sashlock for £ 20.00. That's less than trade.
Does not say 67mm or 80mm, obviously you need the 67mm.
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

Yes your ebay find will also be suitable. You may have to change the direction of the latch depending on the hand of your door.
DC
Teamlocksmiths.

What I'll do is I'll ask Banham when the 67mm will be back in stock, otherwise I'll order the other one. Thanks for your help and this time, I'm not letting anyone else have the key! :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back