Is it possible to add a switch.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All, I recently changed my garage door to one that hinges on the left rather than the right. This means the light switch is now on the "wrong" side. It's a switched FCU with one cable in, and two out out to garage ring and light circuit. Is it possible to tap into the light circuit and take a new lights only switch to the other side of the door and never use the old switch again. I'm comfortable with joining cables with a junction box and wiring a new switch but not if it means wiring live to neutral and stuff like that.

Sponsored Links
Yes. You just intercept the live wire going to the light and run it to and back, the other side of the garage.

Yes. You just intercept the live wire going to the light and run it to and back, the other side of the garage.

It may also be a good idea to use a "IP rated plastic splash proof switch", as they tend to be mare hard wearing and suited to the garage environment. It is likely you will have wet hands when entering your garage, having got out of the car in the rain, then released and lifted up the garage door.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bg-1-gang-2-way-single-pole-slim-weatherproof-switch/42402

Sponsored Links
Thanks very much guys. As I understand from what you are saying I just break into the live feed, run about 10 feet of wire to the top connector on the switch and then 10 feet back from the bottom to the same live feed. Like a loop I suppose. That waterproof switch being narrow as well will be ideal.

If you are in doubt take some photos of the existing switch.

You will need a terminal block to join 2 wires.

Some cable to run to the new switch. Eg 1.0mm twin and earth.

Thanks very much guys. As I understand from what you are saying I just break into the live feed, run about 10 feet of wire to the top connector on the switch and then 10 feet back from the bottom to the same live feed. Like a loop I suppose. That waterproof switch being narrow as well will be ideal.

If you are in doubt take some photos of the existing switch.

You will need a terminal block to join 2 wires.

Some cable to run to the new switch. Eg 1.0mm twin and earth.
Thanks very much AndyPRK, I did the job today, very straightforward thanks to your answer and it's saved me loads of time and effort not having to move the existing switch to the other side of the door.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back