Is it possible to change BT master socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got BT coming to move my master socket (for £130 :() as the hallway isn't a practical position for it.

Now I appreciate the standard sockets are white but is it possible to provide a chrome one for the engineer to fit instead? Do these even exist? I've seen some on websites but not sure whether they are truly master ones. Presumably master ones are where you can unscrew the face plate and there is a second test socket, or is that part of the back plate.

I'm very confused by it all. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Master sockets in various finishes are available, but they're intended for use on private exchange systems.

BT will fit a Linebox with the removable faceplate, unless they fit an external NTE (bottom half of the page at
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btsockets.htm

Also a non-Linebox means it is more difficult to fit a filter faceplace and have all the wiring in the house filtered for optimum ADSL speed.

They don't do a chrome bt master socket, but nothing is stopping you having the bt master in a discrete place ask him to run his wire and put your chrome socket on the end of it. Should be no hassle as long as the guy isn't a jobsworth.

You would be better asking a bt engineer / contractor to do a private job, cheaper and he'll do what you want.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back