Is it possible to rewire without knocking holes in the walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This may sound like a stupid question (please feel free not to point it out if it is lol) but is it possible to rewire a room by using the existing wire to pull new wire through the walls? Don't worry i'm not doing it myself, I plan to get a guy in, but I'm looking for the least invasive method possible so I know what to ask him to do when I get some quotes.

I know they'll have to access the loft, pull up floor boards etc and for most rooms I don't mind the guy tearing into the walls, but one room is tiled and I would prefer it if they could pull through rather than takedown the tiles.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sometimes it is possible to pull new wiring through with old but often it isn't and if you try it there is always a risk that the join between new and old will break or jam leaving you with neither the old or the new wire in place.

What is the reason for this rewire anyway?

Hi plugwash,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the join might break/get stuck as they did it, it was more a 'is it even feasible' question so I don't ask and then get taken to the cleaners on the quotes when I sound like a complete novice.

I'm getting it done because it's and old house and I'm not exactly sure how old the electrics are but I know they're more than 25-30 years so I want to get them done for safety more than enything. Plus I'm getting m,ost of the house replastered so wanted to get it done first (in every room apart from the one with the tiles).

If your getting the house replastered, do the usual and chase the walls. That way you have sockets and switches where YOU want them, not where they were.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the configuration of the tiled walls, it might be possible to rewire the room from the other side (of the wall) IYSWIM - that way all damage will be in rooms that can be or are being re plastered - that's how I'd approach it

SB

Depending on the configuration of the tiled walls, it might be possible to rewire the room from the other side (of the wall) IYSWIM - that way all damage will be in rooms that can be or are being re plastered - that's how I'd approach it

SB

Thats how I would do it.

The tiled room may have conduits that can be re-used.

Or there may be a void in the walls to run cables.

Or there may be a cupboard nearby to run cables.

Or, as SB says, it may be possible to run the cables in the next room.

Or the wiring may be quite new and the electrician is happy to test and save it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back