Is it safe to remove flow regulator in shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I hope you can advise me.

I have a Mira Realm mixer shower and the pressure is pathetic and makes the morning shower a very drab affair! As per the installation instructions, there is a flow regulator fitted in the cold supply elbow and I'm wondering if it is safe to remove this to see if the pressure improves. I have a Worcester Greenstar Junior 28i combi boiler.

I'm worried that removing the regulator might be bad for the boiler or compromise the temperature safety of the shower. By the way, I have cleaned and later replaced the shower head, but no better and also the other taps all have good pressure, including a bath "telephone" type hand-held shower head.

Any advice appreciated!

Attachments

• flow regulator.jpg
    flow regulator.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 84
Sponsored Links
Has it always been thus? I am not a plumber, but if you increase the flow, I would guess that you will just need to adjust the setting on the thermostatic valve, which is pretty trivial.

Sponsored Links
Since the poor flow is of hot water I do not understand why you think increasing the cold water flow will help anything unless you want a colder shower.

Many shower valves get clogged up with lime scale. Many also have a mesh filter on the inlet which can get clogged up too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back