Is it time to scrap trident?

Sponsored Links
Until we have sky wars technology and can blast everything out of the sky before it gets here the I think we should keep the nuclear deterrent.

When there is a threat of an up and coming nation that could launch a weapon at us we should be capable of retaliation and as there are very few people that know the whereabouts of our nuclear submarines they have to be the ultimate deterrent.

Agree with pred; a nation that can't defend itself against any aggressor is useless.

You also have to consider the wider implications of scrapping Trident and how it would be viewed by our allies, particularly the US. For too long Europe has taken US defence for granted. There are already pressures on the US to increase defence commitments elsewhere at the expense of Europe, particularly in the Pacific rim.

If we get rid of Trident, it reinforces the message that Europe is going soft and the Americans will eventually assume that Europe isn't worth defending.
If we aren't prepared to spend resources to defend ourselves, is it morally right we should depend on them?

So you get a terrorist nuclear 'dirty bomb' detonated in London. So who ya gonna nuke, Rednecks?

Sponsored Links
No UK government would ever 'push the nuclear button' in retaliation to a nuclear strike against us.

Commuters can be slaughtered on London Transport (7/7) and a serving soldier can be butchered walking the streets of London, but the UK government will insist that the perpetrators (those that survive) are given their day in court to defend their actions.

The nuclear deterrent policy justifies 'an eye for an eye', a 'life for a life' (in the thousands) type of response, but when it comes to our response to terrorism, the government has to 'tip toe' its way to a solution to ensure we don't upset particular communities or cultures.

Total hypocrisy which is going to cost us £100bn whilst us Brits continue to be victims from the enemy within.

personally its a waste of time,as we are going to be taken over from within anyway.

Yes, let's scrap Trident and all our nuclear weapons for that matter.

Then Iran, North Korea and any other unstable regime who acquires the technology can destroy us with impunity.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/26/hans-blix-trident-abandon-britain-nuclear

I'd like to see it gone and the money used elsewhere.
On where ? DSS benefits and immigration peoples housing and driving lessons/free cars etc ?.

C'mon Joe- Lets hear just where you think the money would be best spent .

The people who now work on Trident- get up every morning and go to work. . They believe in what they are working for .
Unlike YOU who go cycling (?) and dont lift a finger to help the community.
When you chuck a few hours into the system - THEN you can comment on where the money goes.
Until then- shut your big self opinionated gob. Got it ?.

So you get a terrorist nuclear 'dirty bomb' detonated in London. So who ya gonna nuke, Rednecks?

The nuclear deterrent is nothing to do with acts of terrorism. If Trident was scrapped, terrorism would still occur. The deterrent is there for larger scale threats which could come from anywhere.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall, people used to talk of the 'peace dividend', but the world is now a more unstable place.
Anyway, if Trident were to be scrapped, what would you spend the money on? More social workers, equality compliance officers and carbon emissions experts no doubt.

Germany? Japan? No nukes there. Have they been bombed yet?

Complete waste of money.

I'd rather have a tax refund.

£1660 for every man woman and child in the UK.

Not at all.
Only drug I take is 'hard work' -- and I enjoy it.
Never touched any sort of drug in my life- even though I have worked amongst people who take them all the time .
Not even a spliff .
There you have it .

C,mon Joe- you need to get out more often and add something to the community .. You can do it-- if you try.
You really think you are smart- but- Joe-- you have a lot to learn.
Why do you constantly knock people ? insult people/ avoid leading questions ?. Try to cause conflict ?.

Try being nice for a change-- you may enjoy it.

Obviously--you think you are smart-- but- in reality--you are not.
You just make yourself look foolish all the time .

Grow up .

The last major war finished nearly 70 years ago; that is nearly as long as the time-gap between the Franco-Prussian War and 1945, during which time we also had the Boer War, and of course that little matter of the 1914-18 War.
What has by-and-large kept the peace for nearly 70 years? Being nice to people and appeasement, or deterrence?

Sponsored Links
Back