Is it worth it to rewire the whole house with blue + brown?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I'm building a new bedroom and it will be not far from the consumer unit.
Therefore I will connect this bedroom into a new ring (I believe it's easier this way).
Also I would need to run a 6mm cable for cooker and oven (not present at the moment)

I will be replacing the old fused consumer unit for a mcb rcb type.

I would like to ask... Is it worth it to rewire the entire floor (actually wired with twin and earth Black and Red (that looks very good to me) with the new one?

Would a new rewire or part rewire increase the house value?

I'm asking this because I'm working on a big project right now and 60% of floor boards are open at the moment as I'm moving all the pipes..

Thank you

Sponsored Links
STOP:::::::

You may be an electronic engineer and you may believe that you know how to be safe, but from this and your previous enquiries regarding the bathroom and the kitchen you really haven't got a clue about domestic wiring.
Despite being given advice by BAS and others you don't seem to have grasped the basic concepts of what you are proposing. For example
How did you arrive at 6mm for the cooker cable?
Why are you creating a ring final circuit for your new bedroom?
What is an mcb rcb?
What does you LABC say about your activities.
Who is going to issue the Electrical Installation Certificate?
How do you know that the Black and Red cable looks good to you? I like the colour red but that doesn't mean the cable has integrity.
As far as a rewire and the increase in the value of the house well that depends on the action the LABC take - without a propert EIC I would suspect the the new owners would reduce the value of the house to have it properly checked out, electrically at least.

I have a friend electrician mate that will come and check everything before closing floors and such, once finish he will get hes boss down to sign the papers (and all this for £150)... But he is so busy during the day and also lives in west London (i'm in east).

For cooker and oven I got suggested to wire it a into the consumer unit connected to a dedicated RCB 32 or 64 ah (one of the other cannot remember) then buy the dedicated sockets for it. I forgot to say that the cooker and the oven are placed in different place of the room. So I thought 7kw cable each end should be ok? wrong?

I will live this one disconnected anyway as I got a fan assisted gas oven that cost me £600 and works better then any electric oven. And hobs are gas too. I would do it just to have it there in the future.

I'm running lots of cables at the moment (all low voltage AV, HDMI, CCTV, CAT6, speakers, with underfloor trunking all the stuff that I'm used to anyway).

For the small bedroom I would connect 4 double socket using 2.5mm cable around the room from and back to the consumer unit into a separate mcb, wrong?.

And yes!!! before connect everything to the main I will get it tested and checked by a professional.

This is the picture of the consumer unit.

I know it's huge!!! That's as been donated to me :) and I bought a separate one for the garage (the one on the right) new (but that will be later installed this year).

Sponsored Links
Cannot be modified to accomodate better components? Like latest mcb and RCB? or it's because it's in metal?

That CU has all 16A MCB's so not much use to you for the oven and lights etc..... Not very easy to get replacements.

Just get a new CU, easier.

Have you got storage heaters?

That board on the left looks like some kind of dual tariff board, and probably won't be suitable for you without a lot of chopping and changing.

I see you have some RCCBs on top, but remember that board isn't a regular dual RCD board.

Getting a new board that's right for the job would be better than trying to utilise secondhand stuff.

Your old wiring will depend on how old it is, and if it has been wired up well. You may find some wiring is newer than the rest of it.

How old is the house?

Try to send photos of the installation.

Adding a complete new ring for the bedroom could be a good idea to save trying to connect to an existing circuit.

You would be better off getting a good electrician to look over the installation, and carry out the work you have outlined, and anything else that may or may not need doing.

You would be better off getting a good electrician to look over the installation, and carry out the work you have outlined, and anything else that may or may not need doing.

That would be this guy then ;)

I have a friend electrician mate that will come and check everything before closing floors and such, once finish he will get hes boss down to sign the papers (and all this for £150)... But he is so busy during the day and also lives in west London (i'm in east).

I have a friend electrician mate that will come and check everything before closing floors and such, once finish he will get hes boss down to sign the papers (and all this for £150)
So for £150 these people are going to lie on an Electrical Installation Certificate, and lie to the council concerning Building Regulations compliance?

I'm running lots of cables at the moment (all low voltage AV, HDMI, CCTV, CAT6, speakers, with underfloor trunking all the stuff that I'm used to anyway).
That's not LV, it's Extra-Low Voltage.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:voltage-bands

And yes!!! before connect everything to the main I will get it tested and checked by a professional.
And who is going to make all the design decisions needed before you even start, let alone before you get to that stage?

What's a 32 or 64ah RCD?

Sounds like a cross between an SLA battery and an RCD :eek:

I'd like to see you manage a topic like this in Italian, on an Italian website...

If you read all of his posts it's pretty clear that English is not his native language.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back