Is LDPE OK for feeding remote garden taps?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgive me if the answer is already on this forum somewhere - I searched but couldn't find answers to my questions.

Our garden is quite big (1.3 acres) so to save having to keep dragging the hose around, I want to install a few outside taps in different parts of the garden. These will be mounted maybe 2ft off the ground on posts, with the supply pipe coming out of the ground and connected to the back of the tap. I also want to have a supply to the polytunnel's overhead sprinkler system.

I realise there are regulations with regard to check valves etc, but at this stage I just want to lay the pipe for now (not connecting up yet) because we're having our driveway re-laid soon and the pipe will need to go under that, so I'm going to ask the driveway people with their digger to dig trenches and bury the pipe at the same time.

So for now, I think my questions are:

1. is LDPE OK for this? I figured LDPE instead of MDPE because LDPE is (so I gather) UV stable whereas MDPE is not, and there will be some exposed parts of the pipe[1]
  2. can LDPE cope with the water inside freezing without the pipe splitting? Most of the pipe length will be buried but the ends will not be.

[1] Although I could maybe put some lagging around the above-ground bits, it's also likely that we'll have some significant lengths coiled up above ground at the edge of the driveway until I get time to bury the rest of the runs.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back