Is my AAV faulty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Glowworm Swift Flow 80 that recently had a new fan due to the whole thing failing. Fault was still intermittent so a plumber came and had a look and said that the AAV was missing a rubber seal, so allegedly fitted one. It then turned out that the PCB needed a few dry joints sorting, which I found and soldered myself. Since then, the system is working, but when on, the pressure very often gets up to 3, and when cold, the pressure very often goes to 0.5. I have inspected the AAV today, thinking if it always worked before without the rubber, then why does it need it? It now turns out that the guy just wegded a load of that white thread seal tape stuff inside the cap and screwed it back on, covering up the small hole on the side. Now if I take the silicon out, the water just ****es out of the AAV, so for now I have had to block it up again.
Would I be right in thinking that this fix is wrong, and that the AAV needs changing because it's leaking? And how easy is it to do this??

Sponsored Links
Better to look at checking and repressurising the expansion vessel !!!

Tony

Change the AAV as well. It is knackered if its leaking.
Did the plumber charge you your his unproffesional sevices?

It's quite likely that there is nothing wrong with the AAV other than it needs cleaning. Some brands can be dismantled and cleaned. Often the smallest bit of scale or crap will cause them to leak. How difficult it is to change the AAV depends on the brand. For example, the 'Flexvent' brand incorporates a self sealing valve to allow you to unscrew the main unit from the pipework, so you can take it apart and wash it out in the sink. No draining down involved - great! Often, if they do leak they work ok after a while when the rubbish has moved. Of course, you have to wonder if the fact that that they are leaking might point to another problem, perhaps the system needs cleaning.
Don't ignore Agile's inestimable advice.

Sponsored Links
To be honest you must get a new aav, draiun down anyway because you might as well fit a new prv and at the same time sort out the ev. Start saving for a new pcb, I have fixed a few ith soldering dry joints but they keep going wrong it isn't always just a dry joint. The new ones might turn out more reliable.

So to recap, you have a bew fan, when you've sorted out hydraulics, hope your pcb fix lasts, if not get a new one and your boiler should be in pretty good shape, well worth the spend.

Cleanse system while you're at it, nearly forgot that one.

O.k., so I've changed the AAV and the PRV now but the pressure is still dropping to 0.5 when cold.

Any more ideas??

I haven't pumped up the pressure to the expansion vessel as I can't see the valve. Can anyone help with that one?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I've changed my AAV and PRV but can't work out how to re-pressurise the Expansion Vessel. Where is the Car Tyre type valve to do this ??

Thanks in advance

MOD

keep it in the same post then people know the story ;)

Don't know that boiler but its gota be on the expansion vessel. have u got the manufactures instructions. If so read em back to front if your gona fix ur own boiler. we do & we do this every day

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back