Is my CH pump broken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After draing my system to replace a rad and refilling I've got problems - not CH! My boiler is making loads of noise (bangs) and the cutting out. The pump is also making a very loud noises. I thought that I just had air locks and they would sort themselves out over time - (with bleeding). I've so far not found any air anywere so after reading various posts on here I believe my pump may be faulty.

So I turned everything off and open up the pump's inspection/vent screw. Water shot out horizontally!

Is my pump broken?

Sponsored Links
You should be able to tell if the pump is running, feel it.
Is the pipe hot before the pump.
Did you get air out of the system

I didn't get any air out of the system.

When the system was on the pump was getting VERY hot.
The pipes were also hot. Definately the one above cant remember feeling the pipe below the pipe.

The pump was definately trying to run as it was making a kind of grinding noise.

I would have expecte you to get air out.
If with the pump on, you can under the bleed nut & gently put a screwdriver in you should beable to feel the pump turning also the pipe should be hot each side of the pump, not just warm.
Im not a plumber btw.

Sponsored Links
ok, thanks for the help so far.

Following the FAQ, it says turn the boiler off at the mains. I've only got the one fused switch which supplies both the boiler and the programmer. So turning off the boiler, switches of the programmer. I cant isolate the boiler only.

So this morning I decided to take the pump off, take it apar and have a look inside - it was full of rusty flakes. I went out a purchased another pump, fitted it and all is looking great!!!!

Thanks all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back