Is my CH system sealed or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just moved to a new house, and the plumbing system is completely alien to me. I've only ever used combi systems with TRVs on radiators before, but now I've got a hot water cylinder and a cold water tank (but no immersion), no TRVs and a room thermostat.

I think I understand how this sort of set up works on a basic level. My concern is this: the radiators on the top floor aren't heating up, and I suspect that they need bleeding. In my old place, I'd bleed them and then top up the pressure in the system by opening the filling loop below the boiler until the pressure gauge went up to the right sort of level. In my new place, there is no pressure gauge on the boiler (a Potterton Surprima 80), and so I suspect that it's not a sealed system. There are boxes everywhere, and I can't get into the crawlspace to check for a F&E vessel or whatever they're called (I think that's the bit that automatically tops up the CH system when the pressure runs low?).

Is it safe to assume that I can bleed the rads and the system will automatically sort itself out? My plumber's off on a cruise for two weeks, and I don't want to bleed the things only to mess up the system and go without heating until he gets back!

Sponsored Links
Bleeding is fine. Water re-enters from the small F&E tank which is fed via a ball valve like what is in many WC cisterns.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back