Is my chimney dodgy?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've read through chimney posts but can't seem to find a suitable answer:

Whilst removing the loft insulation ready for replacement, I discovered daylight streaming through where some bricks have been removed from the chimney by the previous owner. It's a semi so we share with chimney with neighbours who we barely speak to.

He'd done this in order to narrow the chimney breast in the front bedroom and free up more wardrobe space, so 80cm width of chimney is supported by a 50cm stack in the bedroom.

The upshot is, that there are five bricks missing from the bottom left of the stack in the loft, three from the bottom row (two at the front wall and one from the left) and two above, so that all bricks are resting on half a brick.

From what I read on another site, weight is supported by masonry through 45 degrees so this would be OK. Can someone confirm this?

Also, how should the hole be sealed up? He'd just stuffed it with insulation!

The chimney is topped by two chimney pots without cowls

Sponsored Links
Personally, and I'm not a structural engineer, I don't like the sound of that.

He shouldn't be removing any part of a shared stack without seeking advise or even asking you; stacks weigh a lot more than they appear to from ground level and can cause a lot of damage if they collapse!

P

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back